Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,119 Posts
I am an electrical 01' journeyman and Administrator looking for the best Books and or information on making really good Estimates
IMO, Books were great years ago...before the intranets. Things update too quickly to make an estimating book reliable.

do you get a commission?
I wish

· Registered
6,229 Posts
Mshow1323 said:
IMO, Books were great years ago...before the intranets. Things update too quickly to make an estimating book reliable. I wish
I don't know about that. I think it's better to have a solid foundation in estimating, ie being able to paper takeoff and estimate, before you hop right in to relying on software. If you just rely on software and don't know what it's actually doing, you are looking for trouble, much like accounting.

· Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,119 Posts
I don't know about that. I think it's better to have a solid foundation in estimating, ie being able to paper takeoff and estimate, before you hop right in to relying on software. If you just rely on software and don't know what it's actually doing, you are looking for trouble, much like accounting.
That a hard to argue against

· Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,501 Posts
It's the fundamentals. Yes you can hop onto a program and start going at it, maybe even make a few sales. However, having a broad knowledge base from which to draw makes you much better at what you do.

I have the Mike Holt stuff, as well as a few others. All of them helped in some way or another.

· Registered
928 Posts
I am an electrical 01' journeyman and Administrator looking for the best Books and or information on making really good Estimates
Welcome...I can't really recommend any current books..I'm retired from estimating, but if you get several recommendations, read them all.
Estimating is a system that you learn, and repeat every job, and fine tune as you learn.
This can be from books, but these days it's driven by the software your company uses. Go to training and attend seminars that they put on (for a cost).
And work and learn from a senior estimator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.