Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated, give me some neat ideas for laying out pots. This is for my basement rec area which is pretty much a 33' x 18' rectangular room. I roughed in 2 separate switchlegs to cover each "end" separately. Tv area at one end and kids' play area at the other. I am installing my own suspended ceiling with 2' x 2' tiles. My original plan was 15 4" pots in 3 rows of 5 (9 on 1 switch and 6 on another) but now I'm not 100% certain. Let's hear some other suggestions of what would look good. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'd consider building a gypsum collared boarder around 3 sides and about 8"
deep trough and use single lapped dimmable flourscents. You could also
build an edge for the lamp to sit on. It doesn't matter if you butt the ceiling
tiles to lip edge or install the CT higher.

What ever you do pay attention to you light layout, that's an odd size to align lights to 9 - 2x 2 tiles (psst- why I mentioned the collared edges).

Most layouts of CT layouts work off full till to center line of the space. So all cut tiles are on the edges of space, this also helps alighments of lights, in your case.

You could also build a complete collared soffit and use your down lights there
also.

MO of 2 cents...

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
If you're doing 2'x2' tiles I'd go with 4" new work cans in every other ceiling tile and trim with the retrofit LED white baffle kits. Maybe even do switch legs for each of the individual rows. Make at least a few of the lights on a 3-way if there's more than one entry to the room. Trim out with the light-almond Diva's.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I'm not fond of recessed lights.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
In one direction, install a row of five lights 43.2" apart spaced 21.6" away from the walls. In the other direction, install a row of eight lights 49.5" apart spaced 24.75" from the walls. This is assuming exact 18' X 33' room dimensions.

It will take 40 fixtures. It's a big room.

Or, like the other dude said, put them in every other tile. Looks better.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
9x16=144/2=72 cans for a checker board layout.
I get a different number.

33' x 18' rectangular room.
33ft would not have lights at either end 2x2. so that would be 5ft gone. 28ft left to space on 2ft spacings,alternating tiles, that's 14 tiles or 7 cans long.

18ft would not have lights at either end 2x2, so that's 4ft gone. 14ft left to space on 2ft spacings, skipping a tile, that's 7 tiles or 4 cans wide.

7 cans by 4 cans or 28 cans total. That does sound like a lot of cans still.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.