Electrician Talk banner

Looking for Master Electrician to pull permits for Commercial Lighting

9581 Views 21 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  480sparky
Looking for someone who can pull permits for us mainly on the east coast as we need them. We can pay a flat fee for you to just pull the permits and do a walk through or you can work with us on the job. Private Message me if interested. We are based out of Atlanta but travel wherever our clients have jobs for us.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
572 Posts
Looking for someone who can pull permits for us mainly on the east coast as we need them.
One license doesn't cover all states even if there are some that may reciprocate. You will need multiple licenses and in many states this person will have to be an on the clock employee or officer of the company.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't tried to get my own license since most of our projects don't require a license. Just don't want to pass out on work. Some contractors won't give out any work at all unless you can also pull permits when they need you to.

I know that one license won't be enough. I'm looking for partners in different states in case I do have something coming up. It's hard to find someone last minute. I have a few people that can pull permits in 5+ states and I'm mainly looking for someone like that if possible. If not, every single state matters.....it's easy money for whoever has the license.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it? I thought as long as someone can pull the permits, verify that the work is done properly, and walks with an inspector there's no issues.....

If every electrical contractor has to have their own master electrician in every state there couldn't possibly be enough master electricians for all the work that's being done...

I've heard other people say that before, but never found anything in writing about it.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Is it? I thought as long as someone can pull the permits, verify that the work is done properly, and walks with an inspector there's no issues.....

If every electrical contractor has to have their own master electrician in every state there couldn't possibly be enough master electricians for all the work that's being done...

I've heard other people say that before, but never found anything in writing about it.
Your qualifying agent has to be an employee of your business. Don't get yourself in some trouble here Simon.

· Registered
12,135 Posts
Do you know where I can find out what the actual law is by state? I'm getting different answers from everyone I talk to and it's starting to be confusing......
It's pretty cut and dry in NC.
(b) A licensed contractor shall not allow a permit to be obtained or his license number to
appear upon a permit except for work which he or his employees perform, over which he
will provide general supervision until the completion of the work, for which he holds an
executed contract with the licensed general contractor or property owner and for which
he receives all contractual payments.
http://www.ncbeec.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Frequent-Laws-and-Rules-Violations.pdf

Just to clarify, the people must be employees of the firm that holds the license. It is not sufficient to supervise workers of another company. People have been fined and reprimanded for doing so.

I'm pretty sure this is similar in most of the states along the coast.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's pretty cut and dry in NC.

http://www.ncbeec.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Frequent-Laws-and-Rules-Violations.pdf

Just to clarify, the people must be employees of the firm that holds the license. It is not sufficient to supervise workers of another company. People have been fined and reprimanded for doing so.

I'm pretty sure this is similar in most of the states along the coast.

I think we might have to stick to jobs that don't require a permit until we hire our own master electrician......

Thanks for the help everyone.......

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With or without a permit, how can you do work without a license?
Most of the work we do is not considered electrical work. Screwing in a bulb is not considered electrical work :) fortunately.......

God knows.....the way these laws are made, there's probably some fine print somewhere that says you need a licensed electrician to hold your hand when you screw in a bulb......

· Premium Member
20,178 Posts
Most of the work we do is not considered electrical work. Screwing in a bulb is not considered electrical work :) fortunately.......

God knows.....the way these laws are made, there's probably some fine print somewhere that says you need a licensed electrician to hold your hand when you screw in a bulb......
It's not so much that the task is simple and repetitive it's that somewhere the buck has to stop if there is a problem.
You cannot contract for electrical work with a customer, in Florida without a contractors license.
PM me and I can give you the name of a person that is an expert on this subject.
She doesn't mind spending a little time sharing what she knows.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not so much that the task is simple and repetitive it's that somewhere the buck has to stop if there is a problem.
You cannot contract for electrical work with a customer, in Florida without a contractors license.
PM me and I can give you the name of a person that is an expert on this subject.
She doesn't mind spending a little time sharing what she knows.
Yeah, that's why unfortunately there are certain jobs we can't do.....

· Premium Member
20,178 Posts
An installation on a clients property, using equipment and interacting with an installed power, lighting, data or security system, opens that building up for violations, most are not intentional.
It's possible someone could fall,
Someone could damage property
The retrofit could not be correct.
A contractor will have insurance in place and should be able to spot a product that doesn't have a NArTL label or identify a potential problem.
The client isn't the expert, maybe not even the contractor but, someone has to be responsible.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
An installation on a clients property, using equipment and interacting with an installed power, lighting, data or security system, opens that building up for violations, most are not intentional.
It's possible someone could fall,
Someone could damage property
The retrofit could not be correct.
A contractor will have insurance in place and should be able to spot a product that doesn't have a NArTL label or identify a potential problem.
The client isn't the expert, maybe not even the contractor but, someone has to be responsible.
We have all that covered.

Where in South Florida are you? That's my favorite place in the country.....and I've just about seen it all.......

· Registered
81 Posts
What is the level of reward to compensate for the hassle and risk?

The reason business owners who can pull permits won't do it for others is because it's just too plain risky and too much of a pain in the butt.

Besides, why would anyone want unlicensed hacks performing their trade? Who would condone that? Why not just sub out the work to someone who knows what they're doing AND who will ultimately be responsible for it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.