Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a professional, but I have a little personal experience working with AC in my home.
I'm looking to replace an old "sub circuit breaker panel" (Federal Pacific) with a newer one because I cannot find breakers for the old one any longer.
This is my current setup.

The main panel where the lines come in is on the left (GE T738?)

Runs to a “Sub” panel on the right (Federal Pacific 108-16) (Dirty white wire from bottom of GE to left hand side of Federal Pacific)

I’m looking to replace the Federal Pacific panel on the right with a GE PowerMark Gold 150 AMP Breaker Panel

So, would i just be able to pull the main tube fuses from the main GE panel remove the old Federal Pacific panel and replace it with the new GE from home depot?
(I do realize this is a simplified version and not the correct terms for the parts)
I’ll try to get more specifics on the gauge of the wire connecting the two panels asap

Any help you can give me would be great!
Thanks,
PatHastings

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I'm not a professional, but I have a little personal experience working with AC in my home.
I'm looking to replace an old "sub circuit breaker panel" (Federal Pacific) with a newer one because I cannot find breakers for the old one any longer.
This is my current setup.

The main panel where the lines come in is on the left (GE T738?)

Runs to a “Sub” panel on the right (Federal Pacific 108-16) (Dirty white wire from bottom of GE to left hand side of Federal Pacific)

I’m looking to replace the Federal Pacific panel on the right with a GE PowerMark Gold 150 AMP Breaker Panel

So, would i just be able to pull the main tube fuses from the main GE panel remove the old Federal Pacific panel and replace it with the new GE from home depot?
(I do realize this is a simplified version and not the correct terms for the parts)
I’ll try to get more specifics on the gauge of the wire connecting the two panels asap

Any help you can give me would be great!
Thanks,
PatHastings
I feel your pain. You are in trouble on this site.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
So , you want to replace the dinosaur federal pacific panel , but leave the bigger dinosaur GE fuse panel ? What you're suggesting can be done , but I sure hope you don't thing you're going to fuse the sub at 150 amps ? At best , you have a 100 amp service coming in . My suggestion is to hire a licensed electrician to have your service properly redone .

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.