Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 20 year old male living in the GTA and have been trying to find an employer to hire me on as an apprentice for a while. I have also applied to the union last year but never got in, so was wondering if anyone can provide me with some suggestions. I have applied to a few pre-apprenticeship programs offered at Ontario colleges for September. I have been contemplating whether or not these programs are worth it or will even help me secure an apprenticeship. I have applied however because I don't know what else to do. I have also come to realize there is not much opportunity here in Ontario and am reconsidering if I should even become an electrician. I know there is demand in Western, Canada but its really hard to just move and leave everything behind such as relationships, and family. I will consider moving to Western, Canada as a last resort if it is the only option. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am a 20 year old male living in the GTA and have been trying to find an employer to hire me on as an apprentice for a while. I have also applied to the union last year but never got in, so was wondering if anyone can provide me with some suggestions. I have applied to a few pre-apprenticeship programs offered at Ontario colleges for September. I have been contemplating whether or not these programs are worth it or will even help me secure an apprenticeship. I have applied however because I don't know what else to do. I have also come to realize there is not much opportunity here in Ontario and am reconsidering if I should even become an electrician. I know there is demand in Western, Canada but its really hard to just move and leave everything behind such as relationships, and family. I will consider moving to Western, Canada as a last resort if it is the only option. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?
There has to be some small electrical contractors around that are somewhat busy ,,,Have you tried to call around or even go to their shops to see the owner?

Good luck and Welcome to ET..:thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has to be some small electrical contractors around that are somewhat busy ,,,Have you tried to call around or even go to their shops to see the owner?

Good luck and Welcome to ET..:thumbup:
Thanks for the welcome, yes I've called hundreds of contractors and visited many.There's to many people trying to get started here but no jobs.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, yes I've called hundreds of contractors and visited many.There's to many people trying to get started here but no jobs.
Do not give up ever,I know you're discouraged but you will win in time.

I started out 38 years ago and it was impossiable to find a job at the time but I never gave up and found someone to give me a chance.

Just keep working at it and you will get a chance.

Allso if you have gone through the whole list then go back to the first one and start over.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Show up at a job site and tell the foreman that you're a new hire and start working. I saw that on an episode of Seinfeld once, and it worked for George. Looks like its worth a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also keep reading the forums it is a great tool to really help you learn the trade.:)
I had one of the union recruitment members here in Toronto tell me that there's no demand in Ontario and that its extremely difficult to get started. This has discouraged me but I'm still trying. What do you think of a pre-apprenticeship program at a community college, had a few contractors tell me they only hire graduates of these programs. Thanks for your encouragement and info, much appreciated.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I had one of the union recruitment members here in Toronto tell me that there's no demand in Ontario and that its extremely difficult to get started. This has discouraged me but I'm still trying. What do you think of a pre-apprenticeship program at a community college, had a few contractors tell me they only hire graduates of these programs. Thanks for your encouragement and info, much appreciated.
I say if the contractors only hire pre-apprentiship graduates then I would say go and get the upper hand.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Sorry to lay it on you like this buddy but every week a guy like you posts on here from Toronto. Every time, I tell the poster of the week to move west. Ontario is a waste of your time. Then a bunch of guys come along and say "aw gee it's not that bad, this guy's just being a pessimist. I'm sure you'll find something". Well you likely won't and if you do, it will pay peanuts. There are a lot of reasons for this.

Pre-apprenticeship programs are a waste of your money and time. I would suggest you man up and move. Think of it like going away to university for a few years. My company is hiring new guys, so PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to lay it on you like this buddy but every week a guy like you posts on here from Toronto. Every time, I tell the poster of the week to move west. Ontario is a waste of your time. Then a bunch of guys come along and say "aw gee it's not that bad, this guy's just being a pessimist. I'm sure you'll find something". Well you likely won't and if you do, it will pay peanuts. There are a lot of reasons for this.

Pre-apprenticeship programs are a waste of your money and time. I would suggest you man up and move. Think of it like going away to university for a few years. My company is hiring new guys, so PM me if you're interested.
I agree with you there's no jobs here in Ontario, I'm seriously considering moving out west. I want to start my apprenticeship asap and start earning money 3rd year out of highschool and I'm no where . Have no family or friends there that's the challenging part, but I guess if I really want to become an electrician I gotta make the move. How hard is it to get a starters position out in Calgary, Edmonton ? I don't know if I should just come out there or secure an apprenticeship first then move. What would you suggest ? Thanks for your info

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm forwarding this post to the owner of our outfit.

I don't think we're currently doing any hiring, but we are going to have apprentices going to school, so, you never know.

I started at the company I currently work at by doing a round of visits. I had some 15-or-so companies plotted on a map, and I figured a route and went driving around.

I finished my list with nothing of much promise, and as I was driving back home, I saw the company sign to my left, and thought "What the heck, I'll stop at this place".

Fred wasn't hiring, and I don't remember how I kept talking, what I was going on about, but I somehow kept the conversation going for another minute or so after having been told that there was not hiring at that time, and then he decided to get me to move a ladder around and bend a piece of pipe, or something or another. This was a Thursday, and I was told that afternoon to come in the following Monday.

Most companies aren't that "slack", but at smaller companies where you can actually get to talk to the owner, if there's some sort of connection, some sort of getting-along, some sort of trust, or if the owner thinks you may have potential, then the results can be fairly immediate.

Of course, if the owner doesn't see potential, it doesn't mean that you don't have a lot of potential, in life a lot of connecting with others is a whole lot of subjective This and Thats, and some personalities clash no matter how one of the parties may try to get along. Make certain not to take it personally of a few don't connect. When you hit the right owner, he will give you a chance. It's a numbers game.

Within the next few days I'll post back to let you know whether or not there are any possible opportunities at out shop.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm forwarding this post to the owner of our outfit.

I don't think we're currently doing any hiring, but we are going to have apprentices going to school, so, you never know.

I started at the company I currently work at by doing a round of visits. I had some 15-or-so companies plotted on a map, and I figured a route and went driving around.

I finished my list with nothing of much promise, and as I was driving back home, I saw the company sign to my left, and thought "What the heck, I'll stop at this place".

Fred wasn't hiring, and I don't remember how I kept talking, what I was going on about, but I somehow kept the conversation going for another minute or so after having been told that there was not hiring at that time, and then he decided to get me to move a ladder around and bend a piece of pipe, or something or another. This was a Thursday, and I was told that afternoon to come in the following Monday.

Most companies aren't that "slack", but at smaller companies where you can actually get to talk to the owner, if there's some sort of connection, some sort of getting-along, some sort of trust, or if the owner thinks you may have potential, then the results can be fairly immediate.

Of course, if the owner doesn't see potential, it doesn't mean that you don't have a lot of potential, in life a lot of connecting with others is a whole lot of subjective This and Thats, and some personalities clash no matter how one of the parties may try to get along. Make certain not to take it personally of a few don't connect. When you hit the right owner, he will give you a chance. It's a numbers game.

Within the next few days I'll post back to let you know whether or not there are any possible opportunities at out shop.

Good luck.
Thanks a ton

·
Registered
158 Posts
want2learn13 said:
Never give up bro. I started out in this trade 4 years ago. Before that I was in a trade school. After I graduated from the trade school, it was a total of 9 months before a small guy gave me a shot. That only lasted a month, then I got laid off. But it gave me the confidence to keep looking. I finally downloaded the yellow page app on my phone and went down the list making phone calls day after day. Finally my company invited me in to an interview and I haven't looked back since. Keep going man. If your hearts in it, keep pushing. Seek and you shall find. Good luck!

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
Show up at a job site and tell the foreman that you're a new hire and start working. I saw that on an episode of Seinfeld once, and it worked for George. Looks like its worth a shot.
That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

·
Registered
436 Posts
jza said:
That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
So is this same question I see asked on here every other day. If he wanted to really work he would have found a job by now. I guess it's a lazy Canada thing. I could go find work tomorrow if I had to. It's not that hard, unless you're a druggy, alcoholic, or felon. Which is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So is this same question I see asked on here every other day. If he wanted to really work he would have found a job by now. I guess it's a lazy Canada thing. I could go find work tomorrow if I had to. It's not that hard, unless you're a druggy, alcoholic, or felon. Which is it?
I'm just trying to get info from the experienced and those that are in the trade. Thought I'd use the internet and this forum to build some contacts as well since I don't know anyone in the trade. I'm actually working two jobs at the moment but am looking for a starters position in the electrical field as this is what I would like to pursue. I'm neither a druggy, alchoholic, or felon just a proud Canadian with free health care benefits :laughing: looking for an opportunity.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Wow, what a douchey, uninformed thing to say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts