Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just looking for a little bit of input.

A little background on me:
21 years old, graduated high school in 09 and have 1 year of college down.

Come from a union family, Grandpa on dads side was/is in steelworkers union. Grandpa on mothers side was in laborer workers union.

Father is a general contractor so I've been around residential houses since I was about 10.

Ok I guess that should give you a general grasp of my background. I guess I'm just tired of working dead end jobs and want to plant my roots in something. I view the electrical trade as a career not just a job, and thats what I want a career.

I don't know anyone personally who is in the field so I have been doing a lot of researching online. From what I can come up with there is 4 main areas to get in to. Ideally I'd like to get into the residential side since thats where my passion has been for a while. Also because I get vertigo pretty easy, so me and heights don't really get along. I'm fine on a ladder and really up to 30ish ft in a bucket/scissor lift. Anything above that I'm toast, thats why I don't want to get into the commercial side of the business.

If it helps at all I live a little over an hour east of Cincinnati,OH. I have looked into an apprenticeship through the union and feel confident I would do well enough on the aptitude test and on the actual interview itself.

I guess what I'm looking for on here is if anybody has any input/advice on the topic. Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
21,921 Posts
I think residential is a great way to learn however you need to look around and see what the area calls for. Many areas have more commercial work going on. I won't get into union vs non union but I don't know any union companies that do residential unless they are large projects.

·
Premium Member
18,466 Posts
45 views and no bites?
You might want to consider residential service work when you get enough experience. Three years or so should do it.
That work is especially suited for entry level guys and does not require anything more than what you can find at a big box home improvement store.
You can stock your truck or pickup with everything you need to get started including tools for under $1000 and the margins can be quite good.

Look to get into a good JATC. this is your "plan A", do not pay $30k to a for profit school for a worthless "certificate" we do not acknowledge them in our trade. We only accept those that have put their time in the field learning the material, digging and chipping concrete.

Look for a small shop that will put you to work part time on try a supply house. You can meet plenty of people at a supply house and even find out who is having success and who is not. Best of all, you can learn our materials.

Another possibility is Sea Bees if they will let you pick your job.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts

Come from a union family, Grandpa on dads side was/is in steelworkers union. Grandpa on mothers side was in laborer workers union.

Father is a general contractor so I've been around residential houses since I was about 10.

Ok I guess that should give you a general grasp of my background. I guess I'm just tired of working dead end jobs and want to plant my roots in something. I view the electrical trade as a career not just a job, and thats what I want a career.

I don't know anyone personally who is in the field so I have been doing a lot of researching online. From what I can come up with there is 4 main areas to get in to. Ideally I'd like to get into the residential side since thats where my passion has been for a while. Also because I get vertigo pretty easy, so me and heights don't really get along. I'm fine on a ladder and really up to 30ish ft in a bucket/scissor lift. Anything above that I'm toast, thats why I don't want to get into the commercial side of the business.

If it helps at all I live a little over an hour east of Cincinnati,OH. I have looked into an apprenticeship through the union and feel confident I would do well enough on the aptitude test and on the actual interview itself.

I guess what I'm looking for on here is if anybody has any input/advice on the topic. Any tips and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If your dad is a G.C.,he may know some E.C.s.

Might help!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts

Welcome to the Electrical trade and the forum...:thumbup::thumbup:

·
13,020 Posts
Getting into the field should be easy enough. Just walk:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your dad is a G.C.,he may know some E.C.s.

Might help!
Well unfortunately I don't have a great relationship with my dad, while I probably could get a "hook-up" from him. But trust me he would hold that over my head and remind me every day. That's why I haven't asked him, I'd like to go my own route and do things on my own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts