Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tricks to loosen up a pair of new side cuts? I have tried WD-40, Kroil, 10w-30 syntheic motor oil and the things are still tough to open.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm just going to have to return them. I got them from Chad's tool box, so we'll see how well they honor returns and quality within knipex. Knipex supposedly has a lifetime warranty.
:mad:

·
stop pickin on Peter D...
775 Posts
My Klein's are still pretty tight after 5 or 6 weeks mild use. I believe that they will loosen up with use. They started that way and it's been pretty humid lately.
I keep working them with penetrating oil and lubricant. Better to loosen up over time, than start out sloppy & floppin'.
But if you think it's actually a manufacturing defect or just a bad pair, send 'em back. Knipex definitely knows how to make pliers, that's their thing.
No sand for me, thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pb blaster is the way to go. That has saved the day for me many times. Even after using my kleins as a hammer causing them to seize up. Just about any auto parts store sells it.

·
Always Learnin'
1,294 Posts
Use Comet sink cleanser and thread cutting oil. Just keep adding it to the joint while you work them open and closed. When they free up flush out the joint with WD-40.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Simple solution: Take some dead presidents into your supply house. You're spending far too much time trying to fix something that isn't worth the time. Buy a new pair. Keep the old pair as back-up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've already contacted chad'stoolsbox.com to return them. But other than the fact I got a real stiff pair they are very nice and the knives seem to be much sharper than any pair of kleins I have.

·
775 Posts
Let us know how Chad's Tool Box .com treats you. When I make my next Knipex purchase, I will probably choose them. They have a wide selection of Knipex (and other quality European tool makers).

·
775 Posts
480sparky you have a good point, however it is relative in a way.
I can't help but think that a journeyman (in my local) works about an hour for a pair of Klein's. I have to work 3 hours and still haven't quite reached the retail price, LOL. Plus tax...and that my first hour of the day pretty much pays for gas there, and my last hour pays for gas home. So, pretty close to a day's pay for a lineman pliers. :(

50 miles each way, I hope the weather gets better, it's been pretty rainy off & on the past 4 or 5 weeks. Looking to leave my tools on site in the gang box and ride my motorcycle. :thumbsup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
480sparky you have a good point, however it is relative in a way.
I can't help but think that a journeyman (in my local) works about an hour for a pair of Klein's. I have to work 3 hours and still haven't quite reached the retail price, LOL. Plus tax...and that my first hour of the day pretty much pays for gas there, and my last hour pays for gas home. So, pretty close to a day's pay for a lineman pliers. :(

50 miles each way, I hope the weather gets better, it's been pretty rainy off & on the past 4 or 5 weeks. Looking to leave my tools on site in the gang box and ride my motorcycle. :thumbsup:
You're either paying way too much for tools, or are not getting paid near enough for the value of your work.

If the cost of a single, basic hand tool is the equivielent to a day's take-home pay, you probably would be better off flipping burgers at the local Mickey Ds around the corner. Let's say the price of the tool is $25. Working a normal 251 days a year, you take home $6275 per annum?? That's $523 per month. Federal poverty level is a whopping 10,210/yr.

·
775 Posts
I was being a smart ass.
But, realistically, my 1st term apprentice rate is $9.80/hr. and the JW rate is $28.00. If a Klein linenam pliers is $25 to $30 do the math. You'll see what I was saying.

Because I am driving 100 miles round trip daily, 25mpg, $4.25/gal. That's almost 2hours wage in gas. $30 is more than 3 hours pay for this apprentice.

I do agree with you that if a pliers are just giving a real pain in the ass, slowing you down, frustrating you. What's the point in fighting with them. :)

BP

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I was being a smart ass.
But, realistically, my 1st term apprentice rate is $9.80/hr. and the JW rate is $28.00. If a Klein linenam pliers is $25 to $30 do the math. You'll see what I was saying.

Because I am driving 100 miles round trip daily, 25mpg, $4.25/gal. That's almost 2hours wage in gas. $30 is more than 3 hours pay for this apprentice.

I do agree with you that if a pliers are just giving a real pain in the ass, slowing you down, frustrating you. What's the point in fighting with them. :)

BP
Wow, never knew scale was so low not so far away from NYC.

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
got them from Chad's tool box
Support your local supply house or they won't be there when you need them. You could have tried a 9" lineman's out found out if they were right and be done with it. Now you are struggling with a pair of lineman's that are inadequate for the job and have to hassle with returns and maybe the next pair are the same. Send them back they email you you damaged them with an unapproved lube and bill you for both.

Do all of us a favor support your local supply house.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Support your local supply house or they won't be there when you need them. You could have tried a 9" lineman's out found out if they were right and be done with it. Now you are struggling with a pair of lineman's that are inadequate for the job and have to hassle with returns and maybe the next pair are the same. Send them back they email you you damaged them with an unapproved lube and bill you for both.

Do all of us a favor support your local supply house.

Another side of that is that when they realize you are buying a tool at your own expence they give you a better price.

·
Golden Controls
616 Posts
Another side of that is that when they realize you are buying a tool at your own expence they give you a better price.
so true, I've made good friends with my local Stuart Irby counter guy, I have yet to pay more than Irby's cost for a tool since I rebuilt his service during our last ice-storm :thumbup: I bought a pair of red/black heavy duty klein racing linemans for 20 bucks, I believe the sticker was like 38 bucks!:eek:

I never suggest buying online unless the supply house doesn't have it or won't order it. 95% of my tools have come from the local Irby and they special order me a tool atleast once a month in the last year so I get a pretty good discount:whistling2::laughing:

·
775 Posts
Having started my working career in a local old school hardware store, I would certainly like to support the local stores.

Will the supply house treat me different as an apprentice than they would as a general homeowner?

·
Registered
31,884 Posts
Hey dude I'm with XXXXXXX Electric. It takes time but when they get to know you. Easier if you go with an established electrician.

Think of it this way, do you want GC's to hire out of town contractors or your company.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts