Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night around 6 PM I lost 200 feet of 5" PVC, that's 20 sticks of twenty footers off of my ladder rack of my f550 when a strap broke. I was getting off the freeway and got the yellow light when I slowed down all the PVC went rocketing off the truck in the middle of an intersection. I was also pulling the compressor. It took me 7 minutes to drag all the PVC to the side of the road. I then drove to the shop. Dropped off the compressor got some ratcheting tie downs then went back and picked it up. And when it came off of course the ends all bounced off the hood of a new truck that only has 600 miles on it.

F me.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
I once had a 40 hp motor come unstrapped and blast my tailgate off. On an offramp.Had to wait for help to load it back on.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Just a couple we've had:

The boss forgot to tie down an extension ladder on a ladder rack. That one ended up sliding down the highway at 70+ until it slid to a stop in the median....

I had a bundle of 1" pvc in the back of my truck. Some woman was riding my ass so I kept my speed up when I crossed some railroad tracks. All the pvc fell out of the back of the truck and looked like pickup sticks in the middle of the road. She stopped just in time. Then she proceeded to drive over all of them and keep going....:blink:

·
Banned
652 Posts
Just a couple we've had:

The boss forgot to tie down an extension ladder on a ladder rack. That one ended up sliding down the highway at 70+ until it slid to a stop in the median....

I had a bundle of 1" pvc in the back of my truck. Some woman was riding my ass so I kept my speed up when I crossed some railroad tracks. All the pvc fell out of the back of the truck and looked like pickup sticks in the middle of the road. She stopped just in time. Then she proceeded to drive over all of them and keep going....:blink:
The responsibility would fall solely on the driver of the vehicle where the parts, tools or whatever falls off. It wouldn't matter who forgot to tie them down.

·
Certified Organic A-Hole
1,697 Posts
Last night around 6 PM I lost 200 feet of 5" PVC, that's 20 sticks of twenty footers off of my ladder rack of my f550 when a strap broke. I was getting off the freeway and got the yellow light when I slowed down all the PVC went rocketing off the truck in the middle of an intersection. I was also pulling the compressor. It took me 7 minutes to drag all the PVC to the side of the road. I then drove to the shop. Dropped off the compressor got some ratcheting tie downs then went back and picked it up. And when it came off of course the ends all bounced off the hood of a new truck that only has 600 miles on it.

F me.
Is it just me or does 20 x 20 equal 400? I'm assuming you meant 20 sticks of 10'?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts

Many years ago I was helping a guy rod sewers at a naval air base. We were returning a trailer mounted rodding machine like this. It had a pintle hook and it was the middle of winter.
He was driving down the road and just as we hit a ice pot hole the trailer popped off the hook.
I turned and saw it jump and aim towards the cars parked on the side. This thing had no safety chains.
I yelled for Jim to hit the brakes. He looked at me with a quizzical look.
I screamed hit the fn brakes. He did and the trailer smashed into us. Bent the heck out of the rodding machine. Better the trailer then the cars.
We hooked it back up and quickly gave it back to the public works guys we borrowed it from.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,958 Posts
Now for my first day with a JM.
We finished our first job and I forgot to screw on the pipe tube on his rack.
We lost all the conduit at the first light.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
At least you know where you lost the conduit. My friend called me a couple weeks ago to tell me what his father did. He was pulling a small trailer to his rental house to clean it up. When he got there, the trailer was gone. After calling his wife to confirm he hadn't left it at home, he back tracked and found it in a ditch along the way. No damage to the trailer or anything else.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
At least you know where you lost the conduit. My friend called me a couple weeks ago to tell me what his father did. He was pulling a small trailer to his rental house to clean it up. When he got there, the trailer was gone. After calling his wife to confirm he hadn't left it at home, he back tracked and found it in a ditch along the way. No damage to the trailer or anything else.
Unaware = Stupid.Loses licence,

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Two memorable ones for me.

When I was building my house I had 2 sets of interior wooden stairs built at a local shop. When I was hauling them home on the ladder rack a big thunder storm was approaching and I was hurrying to get them under cover. Well, I braked a little too hard at a downhill T intersection leading onto a busy road and heard a thump………thump…..thump..thump thump thump thump as I watched both sets land in the middle of the road in front of me. Thanks goodness I didn’t hit any cars and there was a guy across the street sitting on his front porch who came over and helped me lift them back onto the truck.

Driving a pumper engine back to the station (alone) after a fire call I looked in my mirror and saw a cop behind me with his lights and siren going. There was no shoulder on the road to pull over so I kept slowing down waiting for him to pass but he would never get any closer than about 250' and was slowing down along with me. Then the radio in the cab blurts out "All units returning from xxx call on xxx road check your hose bed….county police is reporting an engine dragging hose down the road.":censored: :icon_redface:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
An eon ago when i was a trucker i had the drivers front tire blow out , a rather violent affair which sounded like a machine gun & wrenched the wheel from my hand.

The entire load shifted, but didn't come off. The truck thankfully crossed 3 lanes into the breakdown w/o hitting anyone.

~CS~

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
When I was 20 years old, installing lawn sprinklers, I lost a bundle of 20' 1" PVC.

I was in a resi neighborhood with no traffic. At the last minute, I saw a big bump at an intersection. I jammed on the brakes and hit the bump at the same time and I saw the bundle drop down on the passenger side.

I got out to retrieve it and, I must have looked really stupid because, it wasn't there. It probably took 30 seconds of bewilderment to realize that it pulled an Issac Newton and slid down the street about 50 yards.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts