Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years I have seen more problems with low voltage lighting in stores, Dr's offices, etc. Bulbs burn out a lot, connection problems, there hot. Never really like them. They seem to be using them less now a days. Can anyone shed some light on why anyone would use them now? Other than they look nice and can be run in easier areas, no pipe etc. Is it worth changing to 120v in a store, under counter, etc, with reg bulbs, Led, or other 120v?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Over the years I have seen more problems with low voltage lighting in stores, Dr's offices, etc. Bulbs burn out a lot, connection problems, there hot. Never really like them. They seem to be using them less now a days. Can anyone shed some light on why anyone would use them now? Other than they look nice and can be run in easier areas, no pipe etc. Is it worth changing to 120v in a store, under counter, etc, with reg bulbs, Led, or other 120v?
Everything you just said is why they're on the way out.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You've probably already tried but first off:

You find anything in common with any of the sites?? Poor install, bad connections, weak transformer, circuit calculation to see if it's overloaded? Do you do any tests, or investigating? Or is it obvious the bulbs are just bound to blow fast and your familiar with their life span?? What is the life span on 50w/12v lamps??

I notice the bulbs blow a LITTLE sooner than the manufacturer suggests in some cases. I notice the same thing with Par 20 50w track floods(halogen) the client was always saying they burn out too fast, I did the calculations and he was running his store 18 hrs a day, 6 days a week. The bulbs have a 3,000 hr life span.

18hrs/day. x 6/days = 126hrs a week

3000hr/life span / 126hrs a week = 5.9

So I would see him ever 4 or 5 months. Since the LED upgrades, I haven't seen him =(....it's been almost a year.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
You've probably already tried but first off:

You find anything in common with any of the sites?? Poor install, bad connections, weak transformer, circuit calculation to see if it's overloaded? Do you do any tests, or investigating? Or is it obvious the bulbs are just bound to blow fast and your familiar with their life span?? What is the life span on 50w/12v lamps??

I notice the bulbs blow a LITTLE sooner than the manufacturer suggests in some cases. I notice the same thing with Par 20 50w track floods(halogen) the client was always saying they burn out too fast, I did the calculations and he was running his store 18 hrs a day, 6 days a week. The bulbs have a 3,000 hr life span.

18hrs/day. x 6/days = 126hrs a week

3000hr/life span / 126hrs a week = 5.9

So I would see him ever 4 or 5 months. Since the LED upgrades, I haven't seen him =(....it's been almost a year.
Hit em hard on led upgrades :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.