Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard the story on the radio after I was tipped off by a family member who is a member of another ironworker local.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...orkers-union-charged-with-racketeering-arson/

As a member of the IBEW, I am kind of pissed off and disappointed. That stuff may have worked 50 years ago but there is zero tolerance for it in today's world. Instead of showing and proving why customers should pick union labor, they go and throw more gas on the anti-union fire. Like a tanker truck amount of gas.

Union labor needs to show everyone that 1) our quality of work is higher and thus the higher cost and 2) our job sites are safer. Everyday those two ideas need to be executed. We need photos and advertising showcasing class A workmanship. That's all we have to offer. We can't compete with price. We need to complete with quality (workmanship and on time completions) and safety.

We don't need to go mob style on contractors who choose to operate open shops.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Heard the story on the radio after I was tipped off by a family member who is a member of another ironworker local.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...orkers-union-charged-with-racketeering-arson/

As a member of the IBEW, I am kind of pissed off and disappointed. That stuff may have worked 50 years ago but there is zero tolerance for it in today's world. Instead of showing and proving why customers should pick union labor, they go and throw more gas on the anti-union fire. Like a tanker truck amount of gas.

Union labor needs to show everyone that 1) our quality of work is higher and thus the higher cost and 2) our job sites are safer. Everyday those two ideas need to be executed. We need photos and advertising showcasing class A workmanship. That's all we have to offer. We can't compete with price. We need to complete with quality (workmanship and on time completions) and safety.

We don't need to go mob style on contractors who choose to operate open shops.
Can I getta hallelujah! You couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I posted my reply before reading the article. I thought this was an ibew local. This is the reason I treat ironworkers (union or not) all the same. Just like they're a bunch of scum. I don't think I've ever had a good run in with one so they get my wrath.
There's one on my job right now that wears a shirt that says "when in doubt knock em out" this should sum up the attitude. Oh and what's with the graffiti in conspicuous spots all over a job site. Hopefully these idiots are punished accordingly.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
While I agree with the things you've had to say about union labor and what we are supposed to stand for.........I would just like to add that we are supposed to be able to supply any amount of well trained, reliable and professional manpower. I know of many locals who are slipping on those ideals as of late.

·
Registered
32,969 Posts
I posted my reply before reading the article. I thought this was an ibew local. This is the reason I treat ironworkers (union or not) all the same. Just like they're a bunch of scum. I don't think I've ever had a good run in with one so they get my wrath.
There's one on my job right now that wears a shirt that says "when in doubt knock em out" this should sum up the attitude. Oh and what's with the graffiti in conspicuous spots all over a job site. Hopefully these idiots are punished accordingly.
Unfortunately the average Joe on the Street does not know IBEW from Iron Workers, they will see and hear union.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Wow. Just wow. NYC ironworkers are some of the best union guys I know. Perfect gentlemen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason I posted was the news radio report used "labor union" , "union leaders" and "union construction workers" for most of the report. They only mention ironworkers maybe twice.

Now my brother is an ironworker and his coworkers I have met are all stand up guys. Just as you guys have stories about them I've heard enough stories about lazy Ibew guys.

All my point was is that we (unionized construction workers of any trade) need to be stand up citizens. I mainly wear my local's tshirts because they are cheaper than buying the cheapest of cheap tshirts elsewhere. I am always aware I'm wearing them when running errands after work or on the weekend. Crazy, maybe. But for example, cursing out someone about a parking spot at the local hardware store wearing a union Tshirt woukd just reinforce the stereotype.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
The reason I posted was the news radio report used "labor union" , "union leaders" and "union construction workers" for most of the report. They only mention ironworkers maybe twice.

Now my brother is an ironworker and his coworkers I have met are all stand up guys. Just as you guys have stories about them I've heard enough stories about lazy Ibew guys.

All my point was is that we (unionized construction workers of any trade) need to be stand up citizens. I mainly wear my local's tshirts because they are cheaper than buying the cheapest of cheap tshirts elsewhere. I am always aware I'm wearing them when running errands after work or on the weekend. Crazy, maybe. But for example, cursing out someone about a parking spot at the local hardware store wearing a union Tshirt woukd just reinforce the stereotype.
Exactly the reason I don't have the IBEW bug on my truck, car, motorcycle or jacket.

·
Registered
32,969 Posts

BTK (Blind Torture, Kill) was also know as a stand up guy, many very bad people have a very stand up guy front.

As my mother use to say you have no idea what is going through the mind of that idiot sitting next to you on the bus.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
The biggest harm you fellas self inflict on unions in general is this holier than thou image.

I would suggest you let that go, and instead impart the attributes of labor collectivism

You'd get a lot better milage out of honey than vinegar fellas

~CS~

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The biggest harm you fellas self inflict on unions in general is this holier than thou image.

I would suggest you let that go, and instead impart the attributes of labor collectivism

~CS~
For once I actually understand what CS is saying, and I agree with him.
Union labor needs to show everyone that 1) our quality of work is higher and thus the higher cost and 2) our job sites are safer.
Blatantly false statements like this do more harm than good to the union cause. There is no benefit for the customer using union labor, except for the fact that the union won't picket the jobsite causing them grief and a slowdown or all out work stoppage on site.

The unions of the past did many good things for workers in general. The causes they fought for are now written into law for the most part, making unions an unnecessary thing of the past.

The unions today exist for one reason. To get as much (money, benefits) for their members as possible. That's fine, representation is what the members are paying for, but for today's union to try to take credit for the actions of their forefathers or to somehow pretend that they offer the customer anything more than the non-union side is just flat out inaccurate.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hey look, EBFD6 found yet another union thread to tell us all how much he loves the union :thumbup::laughing:
When someone makes a false statement and passes it off as fact I have to call them on it. It's just the way I am. And yes, I hate the union, this is well known. However I can admit that in the past the labor movement did some good things that I benefit from today. The problem I have is with today's unions still trying to ride the coat tails of the guys who came before them. 50 years ago the union was looking out for workers everywhere. Now, they are looking out for themselves. Don't try and make yourselfs out to be more than you are. Honesty is all I'm after.

Btw, why is it ok for you (one of the biggest trolls on this site) to troll every topic on here, but I'm not free to express my opinion in the union section? Sorry you don't like what I have to say, but (in my area) my opinion of unions in general is the norm in the public perception.

Actually, I'm not sorry you don't like my opinion. Too bad.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Honesty is all I'm after.
Yet your posts are filled with dishonesty and misinformation. You speak from a position of ignorance, the words you say are not your own from your own experience, they are from other people and born out of stereotypes. You tell stories about how things happen that only someone in the union would actually know, yet you never set foot there yourself.

I've been on both sides. I'm FAR from a union apologist and I have been VERY critical and harsh when speaking about much of what the union does. The difference is that I am being honest and speaking from experience, not what I heard someone say. When I read what you post I have dejuvu because it's the same stories and garbage that the last 40 anti-union guys said, verbatim.

But by all means, continue on your quest for honesty :laughing::laughing:

Btw, why is it ok for you (one of the biggest trolls on this site) to troll every topic on here, but I'm not free to express my opinion in the union section?
Because I am awesomer than you, and more handsome.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EBFD6,

I never said the quality of work WAS higher, I said we should be working to provide the highest quality of electrical work, since our price is the highest. Is high quality work available in an open shop? You bet it is.

I think if a customer chooses to hire union then they SHOULD get the best work possible. Does that happen consistently? I doubt it.

Ill continue to enjoy my apprenticeship and training. I have time to decide what my career trajectory is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As an ex-iron worker local 516, to each his own opinion but dont judge a few idiots you've met to thousands of hard working stand up Americans.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts

~CS~
Many of us are well aware of that Steve. But there are still some who act like we still have 100% market share, and feel that they are entitled to the work because their dad and grandfather did it. The country club mentality is diminishing, albeit slowly. It's going to take full attrition to dispense with it entirely. The few who still hold onto the stereotypical union mentality are finding themselves on the bench more often than not, and are taking the lessons very hard. When people face a personal struggle, they look for a scapegoat. The reality is, nobody who punches a clock is our enemy, but for some, they're the easiest ones to blame.

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Registered
32,969 Posts
For once I actually understand what CS is saying, and I agree with him.

The unions today exist for one reason. To get as much (money, benefits) for their members as possible. That's fine, representation is what the members are paying for, but for today's union to try to take credit for the actions of their forefathers or to somehow pretend that they offer the customer anything more than the non-union side is just flat out inaccurate.
The advantage of union labor for large projects is they are able to organize a large labor pool quickly. And in many cases the training is better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.