Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Sure, an apprentice can be forced to do pretty much anything that is legal to bind in a contract.

I've heard of locals forcing apprentices to attend at least 10 meetings per year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I missed the last couple meetings. Ordinarily I have no problem attending but I am working more that one hundred miles from home.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
No they cannot not force you,but they can fire you if you do not do what you're told.
Unions aren't employers and don't fire people.

There was no contractual language addressing meetings in the agreement I signed.
The contract you signed spelled out that you are still obligated to abide by any changes to the agreement. Paying dues is what acknowledges that you agree to the contract in it's current form. When you stop paying dues, you are no longer bound by the agreement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I am wondering how a union can force a dues paying member to do anything. The journeyman can't be forced to do anything... I pay the exact same dues as them.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
I guess I am wondering how a union can force a dues paying member to do anything. The journeyman can't be forced to do anything... I pay the exact same dues as them.
That is incorrect. Unions force journeymen to do a LOT of things. There's thousands of pages of rules that they have to abide by.

This is what I said earlier:

"Sure, an apprentice can be forced to do pretty much anything that is legal to bind in a contract."

Change out "apprentice" for "journeyman" and it still holds true.

A union can most certainly demand it's members attend meetings. If you don't like the rules, quit the organization.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for clarifying that. So in legally it doesn't matter if you are a journeyman or an apprentice?

Does that mean that if one group is compelled to do something then the other should be as well since they are equal members?

·
Registered
127 Posts
No they cannot not force you,but they can fire you if you do not do what you're told.
this thread is kind of ridiculous.... you gotta understand the difference between what's legal to do, and what they "can" do....

just as they can't "fire" you, however they can "suspend" you...

they can "firmly suggest" that you follow their requests, they cannot "make" you do anything.... you still have a choice, but with every choice there are consequences.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. So in legally it doesn't matter if you are a journeyman or an apprentice?

Does that mean that if one group is compelled to do something then the other should be as well since they are equal members?
No, no one ever said that anyone was equal.

You're really digging here. Just go to the meeting :laughing:

·
Registered
68 Posts
If they expect you to drive a hundred miles after a day of work to attend a meeting then drive back to be at work the next day that is unreasonable
Here in Ak if you are out of town it's excused otherwise the 4 or 6 meetings is the requirement

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
this thread is kind of ridiculous.... you gotta understand the difference between what's legal to do, and what they "can" do....

just as they can't "fire" you, however they can "suspend" you...

they can "firmly suggest" that you follow their requests, they cannot "make" you do anything.... you still have a choice, but with every choice there are consequences.
Until you are indentured the can cut you lose for no reason at all

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.