Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know if you can put newer dimming modules and/or control boards in an old Lutron lighting panel?

I worked on this panel years ago and even then the modules were not made anymore. The customer is having more trouble with a few banks. The banks/modules have already been combined on a few that had light loads. It's getting to the point that the whole thing needs to be repaired, modified or replaced.

It would be good not to have to move any conduit because that would be a major pain.

I only have a picture of the nameplate on the cabinet and none of the inside. But maybe someone will be familiar with what I have.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Lutron quit making the old DP modules. You might could go wireless and split the load up into wireless masters and replace the dimmer with one wireless master. Insteon comes to mind.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/032121a.pdf

DP Panels were shipped new from 1982 through 1995. They came in many sizes, based on the number of dimming modules they could contain. A DP1 had space for one dimming module while a DP24 had space for 24. There were DP1, DP2, DP4, DP8, DP12, DP16, DP20, and DP24 Panels. The cover of this guide shows a DP24, a DP8, and a DP4 (from left to right).

PDP Panels contained wider modules (3 in the space of the 4 in a DP). There were PDP1, PDP3, PDP6, PDP9, PDP12, PDP15, and PDP18 Panels. This guide only refers to DP Panels but the information is useful for PDP Panels as well.

Dimming module technology evolved a great deal while DP Panels were being sold new. The older varieties must be sent to Lutron for repair (with proper RGA # - contact Lutron) while the newer varieties can still be supported with replacement dimmers as described in this guide. The model number of the panel and the module name can help determine how each module can be supported.

The control stations wired to the DP Panels also changed greatly while DP Panels were being sold new. Lutron still attempts to repair these, as needed. Analog controls (one discrete wire per zone and scene) were shipped new from 1982 through 1995. Digital controls (multiplexed data stream on a twisted shielded pair of wires) were shipped new from 1987 through 1995. For digital controls, DP Panels contained a ‘Demux’ board to translate the digital information from the digital controls to the same analog dimming modules.

Grafik Eye® Control Units and GP panels were introduced in 1994 and took over the DP Panel business as of 1995. These newer designs have proven to be more reliable and flexible.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/032121a.pdf

DP Panels were shipped new from 1982 through 1995. They came in many sizes, based on the number of dimming modules they could contain. A DP1 had space for one dimming module while a DP24 had space for 24. There were DP1, DP2, DP4, DP8, DP12, DP16, DP20, and DP24 Panels. The cover of this guide shows a DP24, a DP8, and a DP4 (from left to right).

PDP Panels contained wider modules (3 in the space of the 4 in a DP). There were PDP1, PDP3, PDP6, PDP9, PDP12, PDP15, and PDP18 Panels. This guide only refers to DP Panels but the information is useful for PDP Panels as well.

Dimming module technology evolved a great deal while DP Panels were being sold new. The older varieties must be sent to Lutron for repair (with proper RGA # - contact Lutron) while the newer varieties can still be supported with replacement dimmers as described in this guide. The model number of the panel and the module name can help determine how each module can be supported.

The control stations wired to the DP Panels also changed greatly while DP Panels were being sold new. Lutron still attempts to repair these, as needed. Analog controls (one discrete wire per zone and scene) were shipped new from 1982 through 1995. Digital controls (multiplexed data stream on a twisted shielded pair of wires) were shipped new from 1987 through 1995. For digital controls, DP Panels contained a ‘Demux’ board to translate the digital information from the digital controls to the same analog dimming modules.

Grafik Eye® Control Units and GP panels were introduced in 1994 and took over the DP Panel business as of 1995. These newer designs have proven to be more reliable and flexible.

Thanks, I found this after I posted. Sounds like I need to call Lutron to see what I need to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.