Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 8 of these in my current project, I believe they are all model MS-OPS2.

There are two on the ground floor that are on the same circuit. One in the mens room, one in the womens. This circuit also serves some outlets in common areas, a decorative fountain (a pump and a low voltage halogen light) and the panel room light.

Both of these sensors have developed a problem. They will turn on with motion, but they will only turn off manually. If you do not shut them off manually, they will stay on indefinitely. Once you shut them off manually they will turn on again the next time they see motion.

One sensor failed first, it controls 6 CFLs and one fan motor. The second sensor failed a week or so later, it controls 8 CFLs and two fan motors. Both are well under their labeled maximum current draw.

I have tried returning both to the factory preset settings. That didnt work. Then I cut off power to the circuit for a while, cut it back on, then did the "return to factory preset". Still didnt work.

None of the other 6 sensors have this issue. They all have similar loads, and it's two to a circuit in every case.

If I replace them with two new detectors, I'd like to prevent this from happening again. It's odd that both that failed are on the same circuit.

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried turning sensitivity to low?
No I havent. They worked for 6 months or more with sensitivity set to high. But I will try that today.

Lutron is real good about tech support. they are pricing their components with a bit of tech help from my POV.:laughing:
I plan on calling them today.

Here's another factor: These are the only two mounted on outside walls of the building. It has been consistently below 0.

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll double check the package when I go in today.

I dont see why a switch would be able to handle a ballast load but not a motor load. A ballast and a motor should look the same to the switch.

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Learned two things:

1. The package says "250w magnetic load". I assumed that meant ballasts and motors. If it doesnt, what would be the issue?

2. Lutron has GREAT customer service. They are shipping me two of a much better model occupancy sensor, and if those work in these installations, then I ship the defective ones back to them (at their cost) so they can determine why they failed.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I have nothing bad to say about Lutron and I complain about everything.

Though I could kind of wish they didn't sell so many models of different devices.. just sell the more robust, beefier model as the only model of that type.

Now Leviton.. don't even get me started!

·
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The same two sensors started working again as soon as the temperatures outside went back up to above 0.

These are the only two sensors mounted on outside walls of the building. So it seems like it may be a temperature issue. Maybe the sensor, cold from the drafts from outside, sees heat inside the room as a body.

I am going to get some surface mount boxes and see if that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.