Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ElecPatsFan Yoostabee
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my first project with a Luxor lighting package. It's a unique lighting and control system where individual fixtures are assigned at the controller prior to installation. Then fixtures can be wired in groups based on proximity to each other and distances from the controller. The luminaires can be controlled individually or as a group depending on the programming, and the WIFI module adds further control with a cell phone app. Because of the distances of some of the circuits I decided to do home-runs with #10 landscape cable. The problem is I have about 10 home-runs and and the lugs provided on the controller look like they fit about a #2 sized conductor max. I'm thinking about installing a 12x12x6 PVC box under the controller for the home runs to come into. Then inside of it I figured I could mount terminal strips like the ones we use for sub-panel grounds where the home-runs would terminate. On those terminal strips would be larger lugs that could be fed from the controller with the #2 conductors. My question is do they make #2 landscape cable? Google search seems to indicate that #10 is the largest manufactured size. Can you recommend a larger sized conductor that has fine strands. Do you think my plan is OK or would tackle it differently?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
What's the output voltage? Is it just a glorified time clock, or does it do some sort of fancy signal processing? #10 should be good for quite a distance, unless it's DC. I doubt they make a #2 landscape cable, there just isn't any market for it. You might be able to find a #2 UF cable. What kind of lights are they Halogen?

·
ElecPatsFan Yoostabee
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to follow up on this install- not that too many people cared the first time around- but wanted to share this method for installation because it worked pretty well. You might be seeing more of these Luxor packages from your high end clients in the future.

Instead of using a thicker battery cable or the like to feed my main lugs, I made my own out of scrap landscape wire pieces (4-#12s)

I cut a terminal strip in half, added lugs, and secured to the inside of the PVC box. I wish I used a larger box, however. As you can see from the pics I have about 10 home runs coming into the bottom of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this install- not that too many people cared the first time around- but wanted to share this method for installation because it worked pretty well. You might be seeing more of these Luxor packages from your high end clients in the future.

Instead of using a thicker battery cable or the like to feed my main lugs, I made my own out of scrap landscape wire pieces (4-#12s)

I cut a terminal strip in half, added lugs, and secured to the inside of the PVC box. I wish I used a larger box, however. As you can see from the pics I have about 10 home runs coming into the bottom of the box.
While this is extremely delayed, I appreciated your post about the Luxor system. I install landscape lighting and am considering their color changing fixtures (after having terrible experiences with other brands). I'd love to know how your experience with the Luxor system has turned out, and whether you'd use it again. It certainly is priced like the premium option, but I've been burned on other "smart" systems.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
While this is extremely delayed, I appreciated your post about the Luxor system. I install landscape lighting and am considering their color changing fixtures (after having terrible experiences with other brands). I'd love to know how your experience with the Luxor system has turned out, and whether you'd use it again. It certainly is priced like the premium option, but I've been burned on other "smart" systems.
Please take a few minutes to fill out your profile. It's required. Below is a link to help you do this quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts