Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned three m12 hacksaws over four years. They work great for demoing out old outlet boxes, cutting in shear wall, and pvc. It just seams they don't last that long. I try to not use them overhead because I believe the dust seizes the motor. Is anybody else having this problem? I have enjoyed the cordless Milwaukee line, but I can't justify buying a new hacksaw every year! I love the compactness of the little guy though. How has the m18 held out for you guys? I primarily work residential. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
but I can't justify buying a new hacksaw every year!
Honestly, if you like the tool that much and it helps you be productive, $130 a year isn't really that hard to justify.

Personally, I like the normal style sawzall in 18V paired with the M12 Bandsaw. With those 2 tools I don't have the need for the little M12 hacksawl.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
I have had three fail on me. Milwaukee fixed or replaced all three.

I like the size of the M12. For ugly stuff I use a Sawzall.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
Honestly, if you like the tool that much and it helps you be productive, $130 a year isn't really that hard to justify.

Personally, I like the normal style sawzall in 18V paired with the M12 Bandsaw. With those 2 tools I don't have the need for the little M12 hacksawl.
Sure, it's only $130 a year but they shouldn't be disposable. I think the issue is in the switch. Dust gets to it.

For the kind of work he does, the M12 is ideal. I use it almost every day for something.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Sure, it's only $130 a year but they shouldn't be disposable. I think the issue is in the switch. Dust gets to it.

For the kind of work he does, the M12 is ideal. I use it almost every day for something.
true it shouldn't have to be replaced every year, but for $130 with a battery or $89 without a battery I think its a small price to pay for the labor savings you get from it

Im sure most ppl blow more than that on scratch off lottery tickets or some other ****

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I have had three fail on me. Milwaukee fixed or replaced all three.

I like the size of the M12. For ugly stuff I use a Sawzall.
The problem is its so comfortable to use and easy to carry you start using it for everything when you really should break out the 18v or corded. I had two fail on me both got water in them. I agree with hack for what it costs, compared to the convenience of it I think its worth it.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

I agree that it shouldn't break every year.

But if he likes the tool that much and it helps him be profitable, then he should continue to use it even if it needs replacement every year. That's better than switching to another tool that he doesn't like and doesn't work for him as well.

I didn't realize that $130 was for the one with the battery and the bare tool was only $89- even better.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
So you're finishing a job with an impossible completion schedule and half way through cutting a receptacle hole in a cabinet, your Hackzall craps out. You say, "Oh well", jump in your truck and go buy a new one. A complete waste of an hour plus $130.00.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I agree that it shouldn't break every year.

But if he likes the tool that much and it helps him be profitable, then he should continue to use it even if it needs replacement every year. That's better than switching to another tool that he doesn't like and doesn't work for him as well.

I didn't realize that $130 was for the one with the battery and the bare tool was only $89- even better.
homedepot.com

they even have one with 2 batteries for $159

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
So you're finishing a job with an impossible completion schedule and half way through cutting a receptacle hole in a cabinet, your Hackzall craps out. You say, "Oh well", jump in your truck and go buy a new one. A complete waste of an hour plus $130.00.
at that point you grab your backup hackzall, your rotozip, multi tool, corded saw zall, etc....

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I've owned three m12 hacksaws over four years. They work great for demoing out old outlet boxes, cutting in shear wall, and pvc. It just seams they don't last that long. I try to not use them overhead because I believe the dust seizes the motor. Is anybody else having this problem? I have enjoyed the cordless Milwaukee line, but I can't justify buying a new hacksaw every year! I love the compactness of the little guy though. How has the m18 held out for you guys? I primarily work residential. Thanks.

I've been using the M-18 for 3 years now and it still kicks butt.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Warranty. warranty. warranty. You have one, use it. Keep a backup. Almost as indisposable as a multi-tool.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Warranty. warranty. warranty. You have one, use it. Keep a backup. Almost as indisposable as a multi-tool.
I've used it before (warranty)I just don't like the hassle.But you guys are right, It's the cost of doing business and the versatility of that little champ is sweet. I quess my service fee is justified (being sarcastic)! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I use the M12 hackzall as a jigsaw...cutting ceiling tiles, lathe, recepts in cabinets... For anything else, I use the M18 version.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong i only use it for cutting in work. I think the drywall dust is the biggest killer to it.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
A good dollop of grease smeared around the piston should collect most of the dust. If you clean it out and apply clean grease regularly, it may extend the service life of the tool.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
The problem is its so comfortable to use and easy to carry you start using it for everything when you really should break out the 18v or corded. I had two fail on me both got water in them. I agree with hack for what it costs, compared to the convenience of it I think its worth it.
You're probably right. I was doing lawn repair and even used it to cut out old grass and cut in new sod. Worked like a champ :) . The more you use those things, the more uses you find for it.

·
Estwing magic
26,754 Posts
A good dollop of grease smeared around the piston should collect most of the dust. If you clean it out and apply clean grease regularly, it may extend the service life of the tool.
Grease around freshly painted walls and expensive cabinetry? That's a charge back I don't need :( .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts