Electrician Talk banner

M18 power adapter?

56K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  NoBot 
#1 ·
I know it doesn't exist, but should it? I'm talking about an adapter/power supply that you would plug into the battery terminals that has a 120 volt power cord, so you could use your tools in plug-in mode if you ever wanted to.

If Milwaukee came out with this, would you buy it?

#5 ·
No, absolutely not.

There is simply no reason for any of the tools that I use.

M18 tools last a long time. Even the high draw tools last long with the 9.0 batteries.

Why plug a tool in when you can just use it cordless and rotate 2 batteries in the charger?

That idea only made sense back in the old days when you could kill a battery in 10 minutes and it took an hour to charge it.

#47 ·
No, absolutely not. There is simply no reason for any of the tools that I use. M18 tools last a long time. Even the high draw tools last long with the 9.0 batteries. Why plug a tool in when you can just use it cordless and rotate 2 batteries in the charger? That idea only made sense back in the old days when you could kill a battery in 10 minutes and it took an hour to charge it.
I have an 18 volt Milwaukee table saw and when ripping 2x lumber the batteries do not last at all. So yes there is a need to be able to plug these saws in from time to time. As it is I can rip less than one 2x4 into 1/4” fir strips before the battery dies.

#7 ·
I wish the 1" 9/16 rotor hammer had a plug in like the light (m18 rover), then I would for sure buy it. My light is sweet but only runs on high (5.0) for 2 hours (3000 lumens). Most of the time im o.k. with 2 hours but some days I plug it in if working a remodel that's lacking temporary light etc ..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
In know we're not carpenters, but I feel like Milwaukee would sell more of their miter saws if they made a corded/cordless model. Typically those are used when power is available, but would still be nice to have the battery only option for some jobs.
I was thinking of a tool I'd use MTW's adapter with and none came to mind until you mentioned it.

I think an adapter would be great for a mitre saw or any tool that matter where you are working in a fixed spot.

#16 ·
This was the idea that I had thought of for my invention as discussed in another thread. Unfortunately, Black and Decker has the patent on such an animal but has chosen not to do anything with it. Someone here on the forum said that it would require to much instantaneous power to be a reasonable sized transformer that could fit in an empty battery shell.

#20 ·
SDS max drill (for driving ground rods), vacuum, hedge clippers, circular saw, a power adapter would be nice. I'd see it just as a clip in that fits in the battery slot with heavy leads to a DC power supply.

#21 ·
Quoted from user Oliquir:
"problem with this is that a drill battery can deliver a lot of amps (over 50 peak) so it would take a very big dc power supply to handle this. i already make one for my shop with a 25 amp 18v switching one ( that was about 12 x 4 x 3 inch big!) and was tripping it everytime drill was working hard"

#33 ·
Yup, and that thing nuisance trips square d AFCI and DF breakers like a boss. We did a new house, and the carpenters were using one of those. All the led bulbs would dim and flicker when it was run, and if you watched the panel you could see the afci and df breakers trip one after the other, regardless of what circuit the saw was plugged in to. That was a real head scratcher when we got that troubleshooting call.

#39 ·
I have a hard time seeing the need. If I need constant high power that would constitute a plug in adapter, then I just grab a corded tool from the shop and use that. We still have a couple super sawzalls, big portaband, hole hawgs, big rotary hammer, etc. I also still use plug-in lights if I need lots of light for an extended period of time. If there isn't site power available, then we just grab the bucket truck with a 4500w Onan generator on it, or one of the 5 portable generators we own. 90% of the time I just grab the Honda 2000w since it sips fuel and is easy to toss into the truck. My truck has a built in 150w inverter, so I have also used that for panel swaps so I can toss a cord inside, plug it into the truck, and plug in a tower LED light. It takes a lot of gasoline to pay off the difference between a 120v plug in light and one of the big Milwaukee cordless lights.

#40 ·
This is kind of hilarious to me. Slowly I have been moved from corded tools to battery only ones. You all were way ahead of me, but then again I had foresight to buy lots of Milwaukee power tools back in the day and they refuse to die out.

I wanna see pictures of MTW and Hackworks running around the jobs with a corded cordless drill attachment on their drills while the batteries are recharging......... that would make my day. :biggrin:

#41 ·
This is kind of hilarious to me. Slowly I have been moved from corded tools to battery only ones. You all were way ahead of me, but then again I had foresight to buy lots of Milwaukee power tools back in the day and they refuse to die out.

I wanna see pictures of MTW and Hackworks running around the jobs with a corded cordless drill attachment on their drills while the batteries are recharging......... that would make my day. :biggrin:
Don't say me, I would never buy that adapter crap. All you need is a second battery (or sometimes third in rare cases) to use while the first one is charging.

#43 ·
I know it doesn't exist, but should it? I'm talking about an adapter/power supply that you would plug into the battery terminals that has a 120 volt power cord, so you could use your tools in plug-in mode if you ever wanted to.

If Milwaukee came out with this, would you buy it?
This very idea has brought me here to this page. Who doesn't like more options? I'm mainly interested in having this option for the bigger tools such as the new Milwaukee Table saw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.