Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously not listed :whistling2:

My wife found some decorative tin stars at the craft store and wanted to make them into accent lights to put outside our garage in place of the existing lantern lights. So I got some miscellaneous parts and rigged up a demo in my workshop.

They turned out pretty cool!

I got a round PVC blank, drilled a hole in it, and mounted a medium to candelabra base adapter through it. On the backside I screwed in a pre-wired rubber coated medium base screw shell which will attach to the existing jbox. Then I stuck a 7 watt night light bulb and hung the star in front of it.

It'll look cool on the garage

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and you can see my 4' high baseboard on the wall :laughing:

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Obviously not listed :whistling2:

My wife found some decorative tin stars at the craft store and wanted to make them into accent lights to put outside our garage in place of the existing lantern lights. So I got some miscellaneous parts and rigged up a demo in my workshop.

They turned out pretty cool!

I got a round PVC blank, drilled a hole in it, and mounted a medium to candelabra base adapter through it. On the backside I screwed in a pre-wired rubber coated medium base screw shell which will attach to the existing jbox. Then I stuck a 7 watt night light bulb and hung the star in front of it.

It'll look cool on the garage
Eric's garage..............:whistling2::laughing::laughing:

Attachments

·
Estwing magic
26,355 Posts
I like it. Too bad the UL gestapo tracked you down and are ready to baSh down your door right about....

NOW!

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I like it. Too bad the UL gestapo tracked you down and are ready to baSh down your door right about....

NOW!
I'd get banned again if I commented on this.........my way...

With this guy (unnamed Dennis, OK?????) lurking around, I'd be careful what you folks post here. The dude is very spiteful......

UB Warned...

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here are the thingies I made. Nothing fancy. Screwed them together and smeared some silicone over everything.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Those blanks say "wet location." You're good to go.:thumbsup:

Nice job. Could you have your wife hold one up so we can see it better?

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those blanks say "wet location." You're good to go.:thumbsup:

Nice job. Could you have your wife hold one up so we can see it better?
Sure. Should I have her do it topless too?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I saw a LED single elliptical outdoor fixture, well maybe it was in my dreams.

(If I was dreaming it, I still need an single element outdoor LED)((Rudd, Cree write me when available))

I need one just like it... Same application even.

What is the design statement with hanging a star, any was? ... :thumbsup:

·
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw a LED single elliptical outdoor fixture, well maybe it was in my dreams.

(If I was dreaming it, I still need an single element outdoor LED)((Rudd, Cree write me when available))

I need one just like it... Same application even.

What is the design statement with hanging a star, any was? ... :thumbsup:
Thinking about making them into pentagrams instead, and backlighting it with a red light bulb

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks great! I've got a question about re-wiring light fixtures. If all the components are UL and CSA approved and I'm following the code section on Luminaires is there a problem? I am an electrician, I'm going to err on the side of safety.

I ask because I know an artist who wants me to install lighting on some of her projects. I don't want to violate code yet I'm not manufacturing new fixtures so I don't think that section applies to this. Any pointers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts