Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Is there any problem with having a 200 amp main service panel and photovoltaic
system inverter directely behind the bed wall? (someone sleeping every night with their head with in 24" of panel, main feed and inverter) In fact, I guess the only thing separating all that electrical stuff and the sleeping humans would be a sheet of 5/8" gyp bd. (sheetrock), and maybe a sheet of 3/8" ply wd.

Maybe a silly question, but...... seriously, I have to know the answer.

Used to tell people that everything I know could fit in a thimble and felt good about bragging like that because I was pretty sure it wasn't an exaggeration. Guess I need to rethink this whole idea.:eek:

Thanks,

Jonathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for that Dennis! It feels good to learn something.

Don't know if all of that will stay in the thimble, but it's what I needed to hear.

The panel and inverter were never going to be in the room, but might as well have been concidering the sparce shielding. My client did his own floor plan and showed the service panel location and inverter directly behind the head of the bed. Just wanted to double check my thought that it might not be a
good idea for all that current, both AC & DC to be there:(

Thanks for your help!

According to Karl Riley the magnetic field strength (technically "flux density") coming from a single line source is proportional to the current. The field weakens with distances, but only directly with distance (twice the distance , one half the field strength).

There is a simplified formula 2i /r=B where i is current, r is distance and B is magnetic field.

Other than looks in the bedroom the panel should be far enough away on the other side of the room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.