Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on what to do with this main feed in. The house is in Florida and the walls are block with 1x3 furring strips. This 150 amp service cable comes through the block at a few inches above floor level and is then fastened to the wall in 2 places before running into the attic space, then to the garage about 45' to the main panel. The cable is as thick if not a tad thicker than the furring strips. So how can I protect this main feed in?
My thoughts were to add a second 1x3 furring strip to make them 2x3 and then get a 16 gauge galvanized plate made to cover it right up to the ceiling. Also note that this wall that the cable comes in is where the home owners want to put their TV. The photo shows that the bottom of the block about 1/4 up has been cut through exposing the inside of the block as if the cable was to be put inside the wall. But it was not cut all the way up. So can I cut a channel all the way up and put the main feed in the wall and seal with mortar? Or should I go with my 16 gauge plate idea? Any other suggestions? Home owner is worried that cable may interfere with TV picture, that's least of my worries to be honest but could that also be an issue with a LED tv?
Wood Rectangle Door Plank Wood stain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean that old nm cable? How big is it? What’s the size?
It's a 150amp rated aluminum cable installed by Florida Power back when the house was built in 1966. It's not NM as it's aluminum cable the gage looks to be 3/0 or 4/0. The cable is old and I can't read any info on it as it has a black tar like substance on it.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
It's a 150amp rated aluminum cable installed by Florida Power back when the house was built in 1966. It's not NM as it's aluminum cable the gage looks to be 3/0 or 4/0. The cable is old and I can't read any info on it as it has a black tar like substance on it.
If its not nm than what is it?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If you are rewiring the house, why are you not changing out that old cable? I'd be very unhappy if that was my house and I was told the house was rewired.
Also, it appears to be a 3 wire cable. I don't think that is a compliant install. If it is the service conductors you are running them waay to far inside the house. If the service disconnect is outside, then it needs to be a 4 wire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
If you are rewiring the house, why are you not changing out that old cable? I'd be very unhappy if that was my house and I was told the house was rewired.
Also, it appears to be a 3 wire cable. I don't think that is a compliant install. If it is the service conductors you are running them waay to far inside the house. If the service disconnect is outside, then it needs to be a 4 wire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ever heard of handymandy?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.