Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
It's a 150amp rated aluminum cable installed by Florida Power back when the house was built in 1966. It's not NM as it's aluminum cable the gage looks to be 3/0 or 4/0. The cable is old and I can't read any info on it as it has a black tar like substance on it.
If its not nm than what is it?

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
If you are rewiring the house, why are you not changing out that old cable? I'd be very unhappy if that was my house and I was told the house was rewired.
Also, it appears to be a 3 wire cable. I don't think that is a compliant install. If it is the service conductors you are running them waay to far inside the house. If the service disconnect is outside, then it needs to be a 4 wire.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Ever heard of handymandy?

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Why are you not replacing that cable and taking a different safer path?
if it does not originate in a main breaker or fuse i would not allow it to roam all over my house without OCPD
i dont care what poco or code says ... not in my house
Because maybe he isn’t an electrician?

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Great points and all taken on board and appreciated. The main problem I dealing with is if I’m not going to make it safe someone else will come in and do it without making it safe. At the moment trying to hire a decent tradesman is very difficult most are booked months out and that leads to additional problems. Again really appreciate the points.
None of that is your problem though

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Technically I agree, but if it's an easy fix to make it safe why would you not help? Again this is why I asked for ideas and hoped to use this group to see if any of the 1000's of years of experience the members of this site have could be put to use to help here. If not or the solution still is a $5k feeder install then fair enough. But you never know a simple ask here may turn out the answer. I shared Colorado Jim's earlier as a way to space 1.5" off furring strips rather or as well as the other suggested ideas. Who know an inspector may fail sticky cable ties but pass CJ's. Just trying to get and possibly give help.
I'm not Mother Mary Teresa, I'm a contractor. So help comes in forms of contracts, bids and etc. And an inspector can only fail you with something from the code book or legally adopted local amendments....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.