Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on what to do with this main feed in. The house is in Florida and the walls are block with 1x3 furring strips. This 150 amp service cable comes through the block at a few inches above floor level and is then fastened to the wall in 2 places before running into the attic space, then to the garage about 45' to the main panel. The cable is as thick if not a tad thicker than the furring strips. So how can I protect this main feed in?
My thoughts were to add a second 1x3 furring strip to make them 2x3 and then get a 16 gauge galvanized plate made to cover it right up to the ceiling. Also note that this wall that the cable comes in is where the home owners want to put their TV. The photo shows that the bottom of the block about 1/4 up has been cut through exposing the inside of the block as if the cable was to be put inside the wall. But it was not cut all the way up. So can I cut a channel all the way up and put the main feed in the wall and seal with mortar? Or should I go with my 16 gauge plate idea? Any other suggestions? Home owner is worried that cable may interfere with TV picture, that's least of my worries to be honest but could that also be an issue with a LED tv?
Wood Rectangle Door Plank Wood stain

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You mean that old nm cable? How big is it? What’s the size?
It's a 150amp rated aluminum cable installed by Florida Power back when the house was built in 1966. It's not NM as it's aluminum cable the gage looks to be 3/0 or 4/0. The cable is old and I can't read any info on it as it has a black tar like substance on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
And to think someone was worried about cutting in a 3 gang switch box into block then I see this hackery
I know, the house was built in 1966, I’m sure it was up to code back then but even if it is grandfathered in I’m not going to leave it like that. I got four 6”x24” 16 gauge plates for $50, Ill put fake PVC wood 2x2 up either side of the cable with tapcon screws and put the plate over the top.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Just finish smashing out the blocks. Who nails a strap into the grout line anyways?
Mate, this is how it has been installed back in 1966, I don't like it but not much i can do about it, owners cant afford to replace it and Florida Power say they don't replace service installed cables as its still working. FP wont go underground all is fed in from a pole and the pole for this house means the cable has to run throughout the whole house. Trying to make this safe and its was not part of the original job but found once the drywall was stripped off. Don’t like the handy Mandy comment to be honest, I came here looking for ideas to fix it and see that some folks don't want to help just want to talk smart but not really share ideas which is fine. I prefer to help as I’m doing here with the owners here. Cable is in good condition and no damage, if there was I’d replace it. I’m pushing to replace it and run in conduit but thats a very expensive job. Thanks to those who have suggested fixes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I get that you are trying to help out.
I applaud that, i do that my self
I get that they cant/wont spend the money, you are limited in what they want done

BUT
you need to think about what comes after the job is over
what if something goes wrong with that feeder?
what happens to your reputation?
where does your liability start and end?
what if the HO dies in the feeder accident and their kinfolks sue you?

Extreme and unlikely ,,, yes
possible .,,, yes

people go nuts when their family dies

i have been to call outs to fix a minor deal,
looked around for a few mins and saw so many safety issues that it would take all day to fix
first one was arial service wire leaving the main panel and sometimes buried an inch or so, then lying on the ground to this trailer

i told them they didnt owe me but i would not work on any part of that trailer
and left
Great points and all taken on board and appreciated. The main problem I dealing with is if I’m not going to make it safe someone else will come in and do it without making it safe. At the moment trying to hire a decent tradesman is very difficult most are booked months out and that leads to additional problems. Again really appreciate the points.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
None of that is your problem though
Technically I agree, but if it's an easy fix to make it safe why would you not help? Again this is why I asked for ideas and hoped to use this group to see if any of the 1000's of years of experience the members of this site have could be put to use to help here. If not or the solution still is a $5k feeder install then fair enough. But you never know a simple ask here may turn out the answer. I shared Colorado Jim's earlier as a way to space 1.5" off furring strips rather or as well as the other suggested ideas. Who know an inspector may fail sticky cable ties but pass CJ's. Just trying to get and possibly give help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.