Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Main switch turn controller box ON by itself

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 · (Edited)
We have an issue here at my work place when our 120/208V controller box turn on by itself after we manually turn it OFF on each controller boxes and the main 480V circuit breaker switch to OFF position every Friday for the weekend. Sometime we have Saturday work and when one worker want to use the power, they switch the circuit breaker to ON position and notice that all controller boxes turn on by itself that give power to the pumps, motor and other sources. We want to troubleshoot this but don't know where to start. Can someone here explain to me why it does this and what i need to fix it.

#2 · (Edited)
Sometime we have Saturday work and when one work want to use the power, they switch the circuit breaker to ON position and notice that all controller boxes turn on by itself that give power to the pumps, motor and other sources. We want to troubleshoot this but don't know where to start. Can someone here explain to me why it does this and what i need to fix it.
So easy...

Call your (one of them) Local Electrical Contractors. They will fix you up.

Oh... careful with that 480 volt stuff. It can spit a lot of molten copper at ya. Not to play with. Yesterday a fellow maintaining stuff at a West Edmonton Mall... third-degree burns... read on...
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Worker+burned+West+Edmonton+Mall/8419858/story.html

#4 ·
Everything is off at first. From controller box, to circuit breaker panel. When someone turn the circuit breaker to ON position. All of the controller boxes turn on without having to press the power on manually on the box. Why it do this? Even if the power is back on, the controller shouldn't be on unless you have to press manually on the box. It seem like the spike of 480 Volt override the controller and act as i press the power on. why? This is what we all want to achieve...

#5 ·
Breakers cannot turn themselves on.

"Surges" of 480V cannot command a controller to turn itself on.

It is obvious from the way that you are asking the question that you have NO BUSINESS messing around with electrical equipment. That is why you were directed to call a QUALIFIED electrical contractor with experience in motor control systems to look at this for you. Most likely, you are just unaware of how it is SUPPOSED to be working and something has gone out of sequence somehow. A qualified electrician can determine this and should be the only one allowed to investigate it. Mistakes can be deadly.

#10 · (Edited)
It a freakn question, Someone must having a bad day today. Dude, if you don't like the question no need to put it that direction and no need to answer any of it. I was told by my co-worker that it happened to one of a facility and i want to help out and be part of it. A little of knowledge can be very helpful.
But it seem like you don't know **** about it too.
Doesn't take a clown to know that i must bring a certify electrician in here.

Plus I'm just curious why it start by itself. You make it sound like i will go in there and tear everything apart.
If any one know the answer please explain.

thank you

#15 · (Edited)
And if i know the answer i wouldn't be in here asking for it.
It a simple question... everything turn off...turn the circuit break back on and controller is on by itself w/o pressing power. that's it!... what wrong with this question. My concern is the controller box turning itself on......
And it not operate by a PLC.. It just a bunch of controller box that turn the pump, blower on and off by temperature controller.

Dude, i thought...i come here to get some info not ****ty people....

learning a thing here and there can be very helpful.. it never too much to gain some knowledge!!!

#17 ·
As CLEARLY stated in the sign up page:
ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.