Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im now head sparky for a courthouse 19 flrs and the county services blg 16 flrs
And have lots
Of ballast replacements ( i know boring work) .... But whats the best way to retro ballasts? Ive been using ideal push blocks. To splice to lamp holders And seems ok. Anyone else do alot of ballasts

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
So im now head sparky for a courthouse 19 flrs and the county services blg 16 flrs
And have lots
Of ballast replacements ( i know boring work) .... But whats the best way to retro ballasts? Ive been using ideal push blocks. To splice to lamp holders And seems ok. Anyone else do alot of ballasts
You're on the right track. Stick with the wagos (ideal push blocks), wire strippers, and use self tapping screws for the new ballast. Get a 5/32 nut driver, and Phillips to remove the existing ballast. Get a small rolling scaffold and attach a two 5 gallon buckets to it. One for old scrap wire, one for the ballasts. Separate the wire from the ballast as you work. Once you get up on the scaffold, you shouldn't have to get off until you ballast bucket is full. Speed is the only thing that matters. SCRAP EVERYTHING.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
You're on the right track. Stick with the wagos (ideal push blocks), wire strippers, and use self tapping screws for the new ballast. Get a 5/32 nut driver, and Phillips to remove the existing ballast. Get a small rolling scaffold and attach a two 5 gallon buckets to it. One for old scrap wire, one for the ballasts. Separate the wire from the ballast as you work. Once you get up on the scaffold, you shouldn't have to get off until you ballast bucket is full. Speed is the only thing that matters. SCRAP EVERYTHING.

These are better...:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

First time I got Hit by 277 v was using that style of strippers sitting 25 ' up on a beam.Finger was on the metal.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
First time I got Hit by 277 v was using that style of strippers sitting 25 ' up on a beam.Finger was on the metal.
The first time I got hit I was removing 24hr lights. I needed to shorten the greenfield so I taped off the hot. After I broke the whip and snipped it with my dikes, I started to slide the greenfield off the wire. I've done it hundreds of times. The tape balled up and pulled free from the wire. I had one hand on the attached greenfield, and another on the cut greenfield which was touching the hot. I got locked up totally, and I sincerely remember thinking, "this is it, I'm done." Just then, my massive shaking caused the neutral inside the cut piece of greenfield to make contact, and I heard the breaker trip.
The entire thing probably lasted 1/4 of a second, but it felt like an eternity. 277 across your chest is not fun. The sad part is people say their entire lives flashes before their eyes, I saw nothing. But I honestly thought I was going to die.

That was also the last time I got hit by 277v, I have never touched to stuff while it was live again. I still think about that day and get the willies. It's also something I am not proud of, nor will I ever tell my mother.
Be smart and safe

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
And have lots
PM ponyboy. That's his specialty

·
Registered
6,438 Posts

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow... A lil off course(misunderstood)

Im not doing the whole bldgs at one shot!

Its as they burn out... God id never do the whole bldg at once( id put a small caliber pistol in my mouth first)

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mshow1323 said:
5/32 is the only driver i dont normally have in my pouch.... It is in there now!

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Wow... A lil off course(misunderstood)

Im not doing the whole bldgs at one shot!

Its as they burn out... God id never do the whole bldg at once( id put a small caliber pistol in my mouth first)
Well in that case, if you're only doing a couple at a time you don't really need to streamline the process as we suggested. Just grab what ever tools fit in your pocket.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Those are not rated or designed for use on live conductors. The best option is of course to de-energize; however, if not feasible, be sure to use the appropriate electrical protective equipment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,438 Posts

I know this is a little late in the thread, but Im curious what made you post the small blue scaffold instead of the regular sized yellow ones. Just curious. I may be interested in buying one soon, and I like the idea of one-man sized scaffolds, just need to make sure im not throwing away money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.