Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on the roof yesterday of my 2 story shed I'm taking down when my extention ladder blew over. My daughter(36) was around and stood it back up for me but didn't lock it in correctly, when I stepped on it I came straight down and in a hurry. I got lucky but did go to the hospital to get checked over, some small fractures in my orbital socket and some severe bruising but I'm fine. I should have asked her if she knew how to lock the ladder. I feel bad for her because she saw me fall and think she's at fault.
Double check when someone else raises your extension ladder, only takes a minute.
Be safe out there everyone.
Not my best side, lol.
20210616_181440.jpg 20210617_092755.jpg
Tim

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,358 Posts
Oh boy, that's a bummer. You will be in pain for a few days. Sorry you had to go thru that. I bet your daughter feels like ____

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,362 Posts
Did time slow down, I came of the wrong side of a 6' step ladder one time. As I was falling i had time to think " Oh crap if I get hurt my wife will kill me" all the way down before I hit and it was not far.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Wow sorry to see that happen.
Quite the shiner.
Hope for a speedy recovery.

Reactions: canbug

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
109 Posts
Honestly one of my fears when I am up on a roof. I've never felt nervous on a man lift at all, but extension ladders give me the nerves. Even A frame ladders, of which I have fallen off of don't bother me as much.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,893 Posts
You're a lucky man. 12 ft fall could have done some major damage.
Now you can justify buying that boom lift lol

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Canbug .. I hope you recover quickly. You're kind of down playing your injuries. Take a couple of days off work and rest.
It's not your Daughters fault. She had no idea how ladders work and was only trying to help,
IMO working around the house is normally where people get hurt.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am taking a couple of days off, wife insisted, I am moving a bit slower and I am aware that I am lucky. It could have been much worse. Thanks.

Tim

·
Senior Moment
7,872 Posts
Two of us were on a roof when the wind blew the ladder over. Nearest person was 10 miles a way and no cell coverage. As luck would have it the snow was petty deep so I jumped in a drift then put the ladder back up and learned to always tie the ladder off after that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got stuck in a bucket truck that stalled, I called for someone to come get me but after an hour in the heat, I shimmied down just in time to see the guy come around the corner.

Tim.

Reactions: Kevin
1 - 20 of 36 Posts