Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New one for me. Someone went thru the trouble to make a saddle just to use unistrut. One ear straps are on the rest of the run?????

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
My guess would be that the strut was already there and for whatever reason they didn't want to remove it and they just used a strut-strap on it.

I can't imagine they would have went to that much trouble. But, who knows... stranger things have happened.:001_huh:

Pete

Reactions: Next72969

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
New one for me. Someone went thru the trouble to make a saddle just to use unistrut. One ear straps are on the rest of the run?????
They did that to cover up the blow up hole they made for the one hole strap...:whistling2::laughing:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
My guess would be that the strut was already there and for whatever reason they didn't want to remove it and they just used a strut-strap on it.

I can't imagine they would have went to that much trouble. But, who knows... stranger things have happened.:001_huh:

Pete
Agreed, Ive got 5 bucks that says it is in a tractor plant in Iowa.:jester:

Reactions: ponyboy

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,427 Posts
just the cowboy said:
I've seen this done on long runs with only 1 circuit in it. Normally it was an AC circuit in an attempt to prevent the wires from buzzing at start up.
I ha even took mine down and have it 2 offsets to keep the worse tight. I hated hearing it buzz every time my 5 ton unit kicked on.
The old run was a single 90 out of the panel and about 85' across the basement ceiling & out the wall.

·
Registered
Electrician
3,646 Posts
Something else was running horizontally on the strut to the left and they saddled over it.

When it was removed, they installed a short piece of strut???
I have a panel at work like that.
All the pipes have a saddle about 3 feet above the panel, but whatever was there is now gone.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally Posted by Pete m. http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/making-saddle-support-conduit-67158/#post1253867

I can't imagine they would have went to that much trouble. But, who knows... stranger things have happened.

Pete

No other holes in the wall

Quote:
Looks like a maintenance department project, probably put the strut strap on after a long lunch and called it a day
Quote:
I like the mc cable below it with no care in the world.

That is the right answer I’m the first electrician they had in 10 yrs, I got allot of catching up work to do.

Quote:
My question is what is that thing(manifold?) in the picture? Is it water or air?

Oil and water that goes to a separator

Quote:
I've seen this done on long runs with only 1 circuit in it. Normally it was an AC circuit in an attempt to prevent the wires from buzzing at start up.

Great idea! May come in handy, someone just posted the other week about wire chatter.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
That strut could be a fishplate for something bolted on the other side of the wall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.