Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, recently became interested back into being an electrician(should've did it out of high school but hey life hits you sometimes)I am 27 now. I do some electrical work now with traffic signals and such at my current job but its eventually a dead end job. I am interested in joining the local ibew here in town but the 1st & 2nd year wages are pretty rough, not bad but not what I am used to making, did anyone work two jobs during these times to help keep a float or from anyone whos in the union, did you have overtime? I love overtime, I love 80 hours+ a week. That's my only concern about it that is if I get in. I was apart of a Local carman union for the railroad until a family member got sick and I had to move to take care of them but the benefits was amazing, wanting to get back to that as my daughter gets older I'd like to have insurance worth a damn. I've ran conduit, ran equipments, trenchers, installed boxes, pulled fiber, ran wire in offices, etc. I am applying to the ibew this week, fingers crossed they have an opening and I can get in. I looked into trade school here but I firmly believe a classroom isn't going to teach you field problems.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Good luck to you buddy. I definitely don't think your too old to start in the trade, but your kinda at an age where you need to figure out what you like to do pretty soon, otherwise you may be always looking for the next job/thing.

My 2 cents: no matter how you look at it, the chances of you starting out making good money are slim. Get your finances in order so if you have to take a pay cut, you'll be alright. And just remember, that paycut isn't just to start a new job --- it's to start a new career.

Think about it pretty hard before you decide anything. And don't forget to pray about it first.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
And yes. Lots of guys supplement their pay the first year or two with a secondary income, unless of course the company is letting guys work more than 40hrs.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,270 Posts
Yes go union if you can get it. As for the money, you will be back in it after a year or two. As @MHElectric said it is a carrier not a job, and you are getting paid to learn it.
As for two jobs, tighten up your budget and if you NEED two jobs do it. Try for weekend work because between school and work you will be busy. Remember if you take a second job it should allow flexibility in hours, you don't want to tell your union job you can't stay to work OT or Weekends due to other job.

Good luck
Cowboy

·
Registered
6,932 Posts
My nephew cam to work for me at the beginning of the year. I was paying him standard apprentice wages, but apparently it wasn’t enough for him.

He quit and got a job putting together bicycles for $25 per hour at Walmart’s.

His failure is like many others, they don’t see the fact that the short term loss leads to long term gains.

He is topped out where he is, they’ll never pay more. He has zero transferable skill, so he’s dead in the water.

if he had stuck it out doing electrical, he’d be making $45-$55 an hour plus bennies, phone, truck, tablet, etc. in 5 years.

My advice to you is the same as I gave to him, do the electrician thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts