Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a job was estimated for X amount of man hours and you have 3 people working, how much could you expect the hours to be reduced. I know it would depend on the job and capabilities of each worker. But as a general rule would it take a little more than 1/3 to do the job with 3 vs 1?

What about 2 vs 1, a little more than 1/2 the amount?

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
A Little Short said:
If a job was estimated for X amount of man hours and you have 3 people working, how much could you expect the hours to be reduced. I know it would depend on the job and capabilities of each worker. But as a general rule would it take a little more than 1/3 to do the job with 3 vs 1? What about 2 vs 1, a little more than 1/2 the amount?
One guy for 8 hours vs two guys for 4 hours is still the same man hours.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,641 Posts
I think what you are asking , will the job take less calendar days.
IE; 24 man hours = 3 calender days.

My experience is that multiple men on a job don't necessarily reduce the calender time. Actually the job has a good probability to take longer.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Not necessarily a 1:1 ratio. It will take 4 guys 3 hours to pull in 3-500s 100', but by myself it will probably take at least 27 days.

Like anything else it depends on the job. 3 guys working separately equates to a 1:1 ratio, but 3 guys working together is entirely different. Experience, efficiency, knowledge, leadership, preparation, and tool availability all come into play.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think what you are asking , will the job take less calendar days.
IE; 24 man hours = 3 calender days.

My experience is that multiple men on a job don't necessarily reduce the calender time. Actually the job has a good probability to take longer.
Less days or hours. I know there are some tasks that only one person at a time could do and others that having two or more could speed things up. But on average, from people that have experience with this, would say a job that showed 15 man hours, could three people do it in 5 hours?
Or would that likely to be more like 6 to 7 hours?

How would more workers take longer than one man? Unless they aren't actually working or only one knows the job and keeps having to stop and show the others.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Lets say we are installing 1000 2x4 Tbar fixtures and the labor rate is 1 hour each. In theory you could send 1000 military electricians (heavily disciplined) and have those suckers lit up by 9 AM.

As stated above free world electricians by the the tine they exchanged niceties, had a smoke, etc... well they would be done by noon and you would have lost your ass on the job.

More doesn't necessarily mean faster. The job you stated, - 15 hours. If I had two men I wanted to keep working I'd quote 16 hours and send them out.

Three men = no. They are going to want to get paid for an 8 hour day. That's 24 hours and probably your price is out of the ballpark.

I wouldn't fool too much with the labor units.

In your other thread I pointed to a page where the guy tried to explain them.

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
Not necessarily a 1:1 ratio. It will take 4 guys 3 hours to pull in 3-500s 100', but by myself it will probably take at least 27 days.

Like anything else it depends on the job. 3 guys working separately equates to a 1:1 ratio, but 3 guys working together is entirely different. Experience, efficiency, knowledge, leadership, preparation, and tool availability all come into play.
Exactly. Fishing and pulling wire or ringing out circuits is damn difficult for one guy. Takes a long time compared to two guys.

Also, some jobs are two man jobs. The third guy is just texting his girlfriend.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
If you have the schedule to allow a job to have no more than two people on it at once you will have your best efficiency, after that you are paying for nothing alot of the time. This is what I see from an employee viewpoint at least.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
As the other guys have stated.....some tasks are way easier and therefore much more efficient with two guys and sometimes three or four guys.

If I bid a job with a large amount of overhead conduit runs, I always allow for the two. The job always seems to get done a lot quicker if I have one on the ladder/lift installing the pipe and one on the ground bending and tweaking the pipe for him versus having one guy running up and down a ladder all damn day for every little bend, tweak, or part he forgot.
Pulling through a conduit is always two guys for me. Installing devices.....one guy for the duration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.