Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could give me a quick tutorial on the difference between Managed and Un-Managed Switches or confirm that my thinking is correct.

Situation 1: UN-Managed switch, computer set the DCHP. Can connect the two with Ethernet cable and will be able to "see each other" All is well.

Situation 2: Managed switch with a Port 1 addressed 192.168.1.1 Computer has a static IP of 192.168.1.1 When Ethernet cable is connected from computer to Port 1 they will be able to "see each other" All is well

Situation 3; Managed switch with Port 1 addressed 192.168.1.1
Computer has a static IP of 192.168.1.2 When Ethernet cable is connected from computer to Port 1 they will NOT be able to "see each other"

I realize that there are probably a ton of other conditions that can come into play when dealing with computer networking. I just want to make sure that I have the basics.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Edrick,

Thanks for your response!!!!

I realize that I have a ton to learn.

I am presently working on a project that has probably close to 20 managed switches, 16 fiber to copper adapters that are all managed, plus VoIP. I am not really working on the configuration of the network, however I would like to have an idea what everyone is talking about and not be completely ignorant on the topic.

I guess I have to go to Google and educate myself some.

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You JRaef

Between you and Edrick I am starting to see why managed switches were chosen. On the process side, there is going to be approx. 10 PLC all sharing data not to mention the SCADA and Historian servers. If any part would crash the plant could be dead in water.

Once again thanks, I think that after this project is over I am going to have a much better understanding of the networking side of industrial controls.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.