Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here itis I am now in charge of the guys that work for our firm they dont like it cause they have senority over me and they have gotten away with alot over there time working for this firm.
Im trying to implement organization and effiencey. These employees seem to always look for the longest way to pipe things together and milk the clock alot.
I've been known to tear into these guys it doesnt seem to help.
They are the Cave dweller type of an employee, at this point I m stuck with them.
There starting to get the picture that Im not kidding. To say the least.
Anyone have had similar situations at work that could give me some helpful tips on motivating workers to do their job and do what there told?

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
The next time someone "milks" a task Fire them. Our company handbook clearly states that you will be fired for deliberately slowing down.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
To clarify a bit. It is not, and never has been, anyone else's job to motivate me. Therefore, I do not see it as my task to motivate someone else. Work, or leave. Lazy people can starve. Hard, I know, but I work too hard to put up with my co-workers not carrying there share of the load.

·
DGFVT
2,533 Posts
Being in the middle between the boss and the workers is a hard job and you need the support of both of them. Try talking to the boss and get his/her support of you managing the workers. This is very important because once the worker’s know the boss will support your decisions then they will eventually fall in line. It might take a little discipline like giving someone a written warning and then progressing to maybe a couple days off without pay (progressive discipline). But the key to this is that the boss supports you and you have a written detailed discipline policy established. Everybody needs to know the rules and what will happen if the rules are not followed.

Good luck!

Required reading: “Leadership Lessons of the Navy SEALS”, Jeff & Jon Cannon

http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Lessons-U-S-Navy-SEALS/dp/0071408649

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nothing worse than being the monkey in the middle.I have had the pleasure to groom a few employers sons/relatives which makes it really interesting!

I have in the past, used the words ,"If you dont care about your job then neighter do I"

If Its your job to make the company more profitable,then you need the tools to do it...if the owners dont back you then its not going to work.

If the crews are used to reckless abandonThey just might not have the expertise to layout work for efficency,but know how to make it work eventually. I always tried to access my crews ability as soon as I can so I could put the right person on the task that makes use of their current skill levels for efficency,but also give tasks that help them to develop new skills when the pace levels off.Some people will try to push you into self destruction,if they feel threatened.... wouldn't you .When taking the reigns on a crew already estabished,I would break up the the non productive teams and try to put a highly efficent worker with one that needs guidence if feasible,then revaluate in short order,if the cancer is spreading then its time to surgically remove..... I like the old days when a good fist fight settled most On the job problems,then go for a beer....good luck

·
Registered
32,969 Posts
Been there done this.

You need to earn their respect, now if they are truely dead beats that will be next to impossible, if they are good workers but have lacked good guidance then you need to take your time and paitenece and earn their respect. Then as time passes replace the true problem children with guys you hire. OR GO CRAZY, because only one of the three are going to happen.

Watch for their appointed leader and deal with him face to face telling him your goals and how you need his assistance to make this work or can him. But you risk becoming the major enemy if you can the LEADER.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Slow workers

When I was a project manager for a larger union shop I would tell the electricians how many hours were bid into the job and offer them a bonus if they came in under the bid hours. Worked very well. An interesting thing that also came out of this is I noticed the amount of change orders increased as well. Just speculating but I think they realized that the small change they would normally just do was costing them time and jeopardizing their bonus.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
If there is time to milk it there is time to make them sit, most losers who slack off at work are the same guy who go paycheck to paycheck, hit em where it hurts and give them time off. If that is possible, at least suggest it to the person with authority.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would be the type of boss to sometimes invite everyone over for beer and pizza, sometimes tease - joke around, etc.

But if someone is not pulling their weight and has had multiple warnings/discussions about this (everyone should get a chance to improve), then out they go!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'd be careful of allowing myself the conclusion that these guys are milking the clock. Unless you have standards to use as measures, anybody's opinion of how much time a job should take is anybody's opinion, nothing more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.