Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30 years of being an electrical contractor I want to grow my company.
I am turning down 50% of the business coming my way.
I want to hire elec. techs and manage jobs and service calls.

Anyone know of a publication outlining a practical business plan for a service oriented business.? I am not interested in buying expensive software.

I am a very good electrician. I have never taken a business management course. I see guys like plumbers, painters etc. with trucks and techs.

I am ready for the next level.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I think that is great. I wish you the best luck.
Anyone know of a publication outlining a practical business plan for a service oriented business.? I am not interested in buying expensive software.
I can understand your reluctance to buy "expensive" software. IMO, you will need some software to help. The bigger you plan to get, the more you will appreciate good software.
I am a very good electrician. I have never taken a business management course.
That does not bode well for success. You should consider a course or two.
I see guys like plumbers, painters etc. with trucks and techs.

Did you ask those guys?

:laughing: Be careful what you wish for, :whistling2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll let you folks know how it turns out. I am too old for crawling. Tired of hacks under bidding me.
I am too smart to not find what I need.

30 years in business. I must be doing something right.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I don't know if the EKR forum is still around, but a member named LA electrician or something close to that wrote a 12 part guide that was pretty good. Try to get a hold of a copy of that thing.

·
Small Potatoes
5,456 Posts
Would ES2 help him?
I've looked at it and if I were just starting out I would definitely use it. :thumbsup:

The only reason we don't use it is because we've been heavily invested in another software for 19 years and switching now is not practical.

Happy New Year Everyone! :)

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I'll let you folks know how it turns out. I am too old for crawling. Tired of hacks under bidding me.
I am too smart to not find what I need.

30 years in business. I must be doing something right.
you sound like my boss.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
why are you turning down work?
there are several trade temp agencies around the Bay Area, try using some of their people and get your feet wet supervising. the hourly fees paid to the agency can be expensive though

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
You need secret sauce:

·
Registered
3,109 Posts

I am a very good electrician. I have never taken a business management course. I see guys like plumbers, painters etc. with trucks and techs.

IMO unless you have deep pockets and can afford to do flat rate pricing you almost have to charge service work by T&M. And, you have to have very good techs. If they don't actually permanently fix a problem you will have trouble collecting a fee or will have endless call backs and terrible PR.

Now the electronic servicing industry (radio & TV) folks used to just charge 1/2 of what the TV cost to replace it, no matter what the problem was, and seemed to thrive. I just could not bring myself to charge someone $500 to replace a receptacle cap (cheater cord).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Start off a relationship with another slightly larger company. Instead of turning down work just borrow guys from a slower contractor until your more established to retain your own guys.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
IMO unless you have deep pockets and can afford to do flat rate pricing you almost have to charge service work by T&M. And, you have to have very good techs. If they don't actually permanently fix a problem you will have trouble collecting a fee or will have endless call backs and terrible PR.

Now the electronic servicing industry (radio & TV) folks used to just charge 1/2 of what the TV cost to replace it, no matter what the problem was, and seemed to thrive. I just could not bring myself to charge someone $500 to replace a receptacle cap (cheater cord).
:blink::blink::blink:

That just makes no sense.

Seems like you are just afraid to charge what you should.

T & M is for suckers!!!

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts

:blink: Huh ???

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
I've looked at it and if I were just starting out I would definitely use it. :thumbsup:

The only reason we don't use it is because we've been heavily invested in another software for 19 years and switching now is not practical.

Happy New Year Everyone! :)
What software do you use?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts