Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone....I am new to the Forum and I needed advise on growing my family business. I am taking over the business from my Father, who ran it more like a one man show. We only have 1 large job on the table right now but it won't startfor a few weeks....I am so slow now its scary!!!

I signed up with At&T to Advertise in the book and online...but got :censored: because the ad in book is an in column ad & SO Small and The online ad came out to be the same a my free one with them. I hate them for charging me for nothing..sorry for Ranting about that.

Can you please give me some advise to generate WORK! Thank you!!!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hi Everyone....I am new to the Forum and I needed advise on growing my family business. I am taking over the business from my Father, who ran it more like a one man show. We only have 1 large job on the table right now but it won't startfor a few weeks....I am so slow now its scary!!!

I signed up with At&T to Advertise in the book and online...but got :censored: because the ad in book is an in column ad & SO Small and The online ad came out to be the same a my free one with them. I hate them for charging me for nothing..sorry for Ranting about that.

Make up some fliers and get out there an pass them out ,same with business cards. Shake hands and kiss baby's create an ad and post it on craigslist..in the skilled trades section.

Do not pay for ads that require long term contracts they are not worth the money.

Welcome to ET..:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
One easy way,get to hardware store early in the morning,
usualy small contractor get there to get stuff they need,
so you can give business card and meet them directly,
direct contact is the key.

·
Registered
99 Posts

No one can offer you any real advise, nor can you justify the expense until you define what type of work you are looking for. To market to residential work is different than commercial, new construction is different than service work. Do you just want big jobs like the one you have booked? How are you perceived in your market?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I am not a big fish by any stretch of the imagination but like others have said go balls to the wall promoting your business to everyone you meet. My business is pretty much word of mouth, I am not where I want to be and need to get out there more but word of mouth referrals from happy clients keep me in business.
As I grow with more men I know I will need to advertise more (necessary evil especially with service) but right now above is how it is.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Stay away from any kind of ad you have to pay for, in my experience none of them have been worth it. You might get lucky but I've yet to get much return on anything like that that I have tried.

As others have said, talk to potential customers directly, and leave them impressed if they hire you. Word of mouth and good referrals are worth more than any ad

·
Small Potatoes
5,510 Posts
Talk about your business to everyone and ask for referrals.

Website - online scheduling feature, live chat and testimonials on the front page. Keep it simple and customer focused.

Organic search engine optimization.

Google ad words as much you can afford.

90% of the market looking for services is using a search engine to find it. You need to be where the majority of potential customers can find you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you u guys! 90% of our business are repeat customers & referrals. We do both Residential & Commercial - Service, New Construction & reno. I did post cards over the summer but I will try again. I will try to meet more people face to face to give out business cards...maybe I will join meetup group/Networking groups.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

Try Angie's List.

·
Estwing magic
27,288 Posts
You have a change in your company structure and it is an ideal time to visit existing customers. Don't be scared to have heart to heart conversations. Ask questions. And here is the number one rule in selling: Ask for the business! even if somebody only wants a thermostat moved - show up on time, be professional and, when you're done, ask the customer if he's happy. Remember ABS, Always Be Selling!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.