Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.
I've decided to take the leap and start my own business. I spent today scouring the forum to read over everyone's advice, and spent some time in the truck today handing out business cards to local real estate agents.
I live in a fairly rural area, we have one major town that's only a major town because it has a college in it, and other than that, the other 3 major cities are an hour away in opposite directions. In our area, there are only 5 other electrical contractors, and I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from the real estate agents that there's more work than electricians here.
Until a bit of word of mouth gets around, where are some other places I should be going to try and drum up some business? I know our general consensus on this forum is Angie/Lowes/HomeAdvisor suck for getting work, but could I possibly be in an area it may make sense to use these until some word gets out?
Thanks in advance.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,826 Posts
You sure you wanna open a shop when there are no people?

·
Registered
C-10 Electrical Contractor
388 Posts
Build your website with a focus on SEO, generate content, make sure your Google listing is wholly leveraged, tie in your Facebook & Instagram, dont buy leads & network heavily. Be a problem solver, over time work will come to you.

If you haven't already, make sure you build a business plan and adapt it as need arises.

Read, read & read. Be a voracious consumer of business & financial acumen.

Oh, and never ever get business advice from an electrician 😉

Best of luck.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
1,167 Posts
Hey folks.

Thanks in advance.
I live in a very small town, mostly rural area

By Far ... the most business i got was from the local hardware store, word of mouth there, as well as getting permission to leave a small rack of my business cards and refilling it at least once a week or more. Take the time to talk to the employees in the aisles and at the counter, if they feel like you are a good guy and friendly, they are more likely to recommend you.

When you go to hand out cards etc. be sure your work clothes are clean (not your boots, ya gotta look like you work lol) and your hair is well groomed. no body odor. almost no colone
First impressions matter so much you cannot imagine, and you can never correct that first impression, they will always remember it.

it took half a year for me to start getting work and nearly 2 years to really get busy and truly make a living

Word of Mouth and repeat customers are your very best bet
take the time to talk to them and see what they really want, do Whatever it takes to make them happy. be certain you understand the scope of the work before you quote it
do your absolute best to never leave a person with a bad impression, apologize whether you are at fault or not, even if it costs you money this time.

you arent busy yet so be patient and invest the time to be friendly, especially to women,( but carefully) : explain in terms they can understand so they know what you have to do and why. on the other hand dont wear out your welcome, take notice if they seem to be thru talking about it, if you arent sure ask if they need more information

Customer Relations and my reputation got me more work than anything else

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,191 Posts
Referrals are the best way to get work. Do a good job and charge a reasonable rate and you will be swamped with work. You need to find a starting point. Maybe it's a neighbor a local business that needs electrical work. I imagine you need to have a fairly hefty cash reserves to get started as it takes time to build a business and money to keep it running until things take off. I would get to know the other electrical contractors in your area and see if they have jobs they have turned down. Personally relators are cheap and don't pay that well but they may pass your number on to a home owner who needs work. Before you consider doing work look into the cost and requirements for obtaining a contractors license because that's the first hurdle you need to cross over.

·
Registered
887 Posts
you need work lined up first IMO before you start a business....everyone that i know including myself had someone feeding them work first and then grow the business from there with other customers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyone's answers!
*I'm not quite in the middle of nowhere. I live near a town of ~8,000 people, and I'm inside an hour of 3 major metro areas, not to forget all the small towns in between.
*I'll look into a website with SEO and facespace pages. You're not the first to advise me to do this, I'll be looking into it.
*Local hardware store is a great idea, I'll look into that!
*I wish I had cash reserves! I get to fly by the seat of my pants for the first little bit, fortunately, my wife makes a decent living herself and we won't be terribly hurt by myself not having a great for a bit. I already have all my licensing I need to start doing work, the only thing I need is to upgrade my license so I can take on bigger jobs.
*I've got a trickle! But I need to start branching out and finding new avenues of income.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts