Electrician Talk banner

Marketing to Ethnic Communities

4K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  nolabama 
#1 ·
Another thread went postal, but I believe it brought up a good topic: How do you market to a specific group?

Well, do not overlook the various churches and civic groups the community has. These groups often have newsletters and directories for their members. Think "church bulletin.'

Likewise, there are often newspapers and radio stations that cater to specific groups. Run ads in them.

If there's a language problem, well, it still is a good idea to run ads in their language. Provide references in that community.

If you're capable of answering the phone in their language, set up a second phone number and advertise it to that group.

Then there's the simple, obvious stuff: let them see your truck in their community. Maybe 'dress it up a bit,' with little things like a sticker identifying their favorite sports team.

#10 ·
Focker said:
New Zealand was originally settled by Polynesians from Eastern Polynesia
Yes, Ive completed kindergarten so I am familiar. I never mentioned that New Zealand wasnt settled by immigrants. You have a point to make or something..?

An abridged history since you seem interested -
New Zealand was inhabited by the Morioris then in the 1600's the Maoris came from Hawaiki in waka and decimated the mainland Moriori population who fled South to the chatham islands. The Dutchman Abel Tasman set foot on New Zealand first and had a violent interaction with the Maoris and shot a couple of them and left. Captain James Cook then chartered New Zealand and in the following years whalers and sealers plundered the oceans and coastlines. Soon after that the first ships of pioneers arrived and started a settlements, tensions rose and war broke out with Maori tribes and the European settlers, unable subdue the Maori population the English drew up the Treaty of Waitangi which afforded equal rights to Maori and Europeans alike and involved the purchase of land. Sometime during or after a Maori war party tried to charter a ship to Samoa for a battle unsuccesfully they made it down to the Chatham islands and finished off most of the pacifist Morioris of which their are no full blooded surviving.

#31 ·
I heavily target single and married yuppies, kids or no kids. Specifically transplants from Brooklyn and Manhattan. This crowd accounts for 65 percent of my yearly sales for the last two years. I have lots of steady work from many of them. Some call once every three to four months some 6.

#40 ·
Before that , somewhere around the creation of biz card #2 for me, Vermont instituted civil unions.

We were flooded with gays looking to set up residence here, to take advantage of out legislation

And they were 'well heeled' too....if you'll pardon the pun...

Vermont has also long been a mecca for communes, and /or whatever socially rebellious sorts, most of whom come from some metropolis here , simply because they're a bigger fish in our smaller pond

We're lousy with green machine save the planet bloody do gooders, who've brought boatloads of $$$ here to prove their point....

so yes it is prudent to pay attention to the political world, because it affects the biz world, and may have marketable ethnic , gender, or social undertones

~CS~

#41 ·
"WHY would you need to "target" a specific ethnic group?"

Well, let me start my answer by pointing to one mans' story. The man is George Ellis Johnson, who decided (in 1954) to market hair care products to the Afro-American community. It was his belief that African-Americans had different expectations from such products than others, and that there was a market that was being overlooked by the 'big' guys.

That was then. Today, "Johnson Products" IS one of the 'big guys.' Revlon, Clairol, Procter & Gamble all missed the gold mine in that market.

Broaden your scope, to beyond "ethnic' groups. For example, you can market your skills to plumbers, and become known as the 'go to guy' for pump and boiler controls.

Or, as someone mentioned, there is the 'gay community.' Believe me, these folks are ALWAYS looking for someone who a) they can work with, and b) who will keep their mouths shut.

I did a few mini-marts; "networking" through the local Indian social / religious groups has really helped me here; I come recommended by their fellows, and I am known to understandtheir particular needs. For example, the 'coffee bars' at my customer's stores don't keep tripping the breakers- while their competitors often have this problem.

(And, yes, I also have non-Indian mini-marts as customers as well).

I have a variety of "Mexican" and "Chinese" restaurants as customers as well. This all grew through their networking amongst themselves; I am known as someone who can work with them.

My point is that if you want folks to get your message, you have to go to them. Other folks may not listen to the same radio stations as you, or hang out in the same places.

Marketing works only with those who want what you have to sell. If you want to sell service changes, distributing flyers in new developments is money wasted.

#44 ·
Well, let me start my answer by pointing to one mans' story. The man is George Ellis Johnson, who decided (in 1954) to market hair care products to the Afro-American community. It was his belief that African-Americans had different expectations from such products than others, and that there was a market that was being overlooked by the 'big' guys.

That was then. Today, "Johnson Products" IS one of the 'big guys.' Revlon, Clairol, Procter & Gamble all missed the gold mine in that market.
I am failing to see the correlation of afro cream to electrical work.

Broaden your scope, to beyond "ethnic' groups. For example, you can market your skills to plumbers, and become known as the 'go to guy' for pump and boiler controls.
But that was not the question. Re-read the title of the original post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.