Electrician Talk banner

Marty Walsh as Labor Secretary

4K views 52 replies 9 participants last post by  oldsparky52 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I worry about former union bosses being Labor Secretary. They promote laws that favor the unions and hurt the independents. For instance if 50% of the shop wants to go union then it has to. Owners have no say. So a 4 person shop consisting of two brothers who are owners and 2 workers would have to go union if the 2 workers wanted to. Penalties if the owners close up and start a new company. Only 18% +/- of the work force is union.

#5 ·
I worry about former union bosses being Labor Secretary. They promote laws that favor the unions and hurt the independents. For instance if 50% of the shop wants to go union then it has to. Owners have no say. So a 4 person shop consisting of two brothers who are owners and 2 workers would have to go union if the 2 workers wanted to. Penalties if the owners close up and start a new company. Only 18% +/- of the work force is union.
Labor secretary should always favor what's best for workers. Businesses already have an army to push their interests.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Marty is probably one of the only kids from to graduate from the Newman School ( a 30K a year HS in the Back Bay) to go on to be a Local 223 guy, but hey, he paved a good path for himself. State Rep at 30, Mayor of Boston at 45, not bad for a kid from Savin Hill.

The timing could not be better for him because he's got issues here and a lot of people coming after him. Read the Boston Globe, (Boston's VERY liberal news*) and the reviews aren't so glowing as the article in the OP. Not that he's a bad dude or anything, in fact he's a very likable guy, but like any local politician the time comes to move on and opportunity knocked. I think his trouble here is, although he's left leaning, he's not enough of a loon to be the Mayor of Boston.

One thing I would hope for is that, as Secretary of Labor, Marty helps to steer the democratic party back towards the party of the working class and not the party of the wealthy liberal elitist's it has become.

*This is the newspaper that said it was Trump's fault that east coast residents couldn't see the lunar eclipse on Aug 1, 2017

#17 · (Edited)
Another last minute change on the outgoing Trump administration DOL. The article goes on to say it probably hurts Non-Union more, because a Union contractor will pay his guys the negotiated wage anyhow. But to me it would still hurt if it gives the advantage to the Non-Union shop to pay a lower rate. How much, I don’t know because we do have a residential rate with the CE/CW guys. In the end it probably hurts us all.

#20 ·
To start with the AFofL/CIO is nothing more than a fund raising arm of the arm of the Democratic party. The day you think it cares about man on the factory floor or the man on the scaffold or in the ditch you are living in a fantasy world. Most union members feel that the AFofL/CIO is out of touch with the union members. Case in point look at the UMW and the UA. The union bosses say you have to vote democratic because they have our interest at heart .
The members say that they( the democrats) are putting us on the unemployment line. Then the union bosses just remember that they have our interest at heart . Why would anyone who can think and reason want to give money to a organization that supports a candidate that is going to put them out of a job and take away his gun rights.
Then no one has ever explained to me if all of this work is going to be done union what are the non signatured crafts workers that locals will not take going to do? Work for Mc Donalds or Taco Bell ?
The unions need to change their democrats only thinking about national politics and support candidates who really do have their interests from both sides.

LC

#21 ·
To start with the AFofL/CIO is nothing more than a fund raising arm of the arm of the Democratic party. The day you think it cares about man on the factory floor or the man on the scaffold or in the ditch you are living in a fantasy world. Most union members feel that the AFofL/CIO is out of touch with the union members. Case in point look at the UMW and the UA. The union bosses say you have to vote democratic because they have our interest at heart .
The members say that they( the democrats) are putting us on the unemployment line. Then the union bosses just remember that they have our interest at heart . Why would anyone who can think and reason want to give money to a organization that supports a candidate that is going to put them out of a job and take away his gun rights.
Then no one has ever explained to me if all of this work is going to be done union what are the non signatured crafts workers that locals will not take going to do? Work for Mc Donalds or Taco Bell ?
The unions need to change their democrats only thinking about national politics and support candidates who really do have their interests from both sides.

LC
you got my VOTE

#24 ·
I know most people think that locals blindly endorse democrats for elections. Our local is very pro active in town and county politics. Actively trying to secure jobs and keep guys employed. When they sent out their recommendations on who they were backing locally, it was predominantly Republicans. Biden was one of the few Democrats.

#33 ·
? what is the market like in your area, Boston office market is down big time Union contractors are finishing up some large projects but not much down the road.
37% of office workers are not going back and developers are scrambling to to rework there space, our customers lost so many tenants, that are not coming back, all high tech. working for home or small suburban offices.
Boston is so over build now waiting for the big crash.
Newbury ST. in Boston is a high end retail area about 1/4 mile 60 to 70 store fronts are empty.( they took a big hit when the riots went thru. police told to stand down. like all big city's did. not a good choice. big job loses.
Friends of our's have 3 restaurant's in Boston, down 80% so many closed..

#34 ·
I was just telling my wife (again) how lucky we are to be retired and not having to deal with working. I remember the recessions of the '70s and ... good luck everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.