Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hello I hope this doesn't break any rules of the forum. I'm curious of electricians who got there schooling/ education in mass. Where would you recommend I go or not go thank you in advance
Hello Welcome to the forum..:thumbup:

Check out the Leo Martin School those guys are the best..:thumbsup:

http://martinelectricalschool.org/

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I would go to whatever school your employer chooses and is paying for you to attend.

If your employer isn't paying for your school, it's time to find a new employer.

If your employer is paying and leaves it up to you to choose, then I would agree that Leo Martin is good. There may also be classes offered at night at your local Voc/tech high school. That's where most companies around here send their apprentices.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you think you get the same education at the voc/tech schools as you would at say leo martin is Leo martin worth the extra cost ? If my boss was willing to pay the $1400 for the "cheaper" school should I pay the extra ? In your opinion(s)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Do you think you get the same education at the voc/tech schools as you would at say leo martin is Leo martin worth the extra cost ? If my boss was willing to pay the $1400 for the "cheaper" school should I pay the extra ? In your opinion(s)
It's hard to say. When I did my apprentice classes there really wasn't any standard curriculum. You just had to do 300 classroom hours, but the state didn't regulate what was taught in those 300 hours. The instructor made all the difference in the world when it came to the quality of the course and how prepared the students would be to take the journeyman exam. I did my schooling at night at the local Voc school and it was pretty good. My instructor just happened to be the executive director of the Massachusetts board of electricians, so he was very qualified and extremely knowledgeable.

Now they have a standardized curriculum. The 600 hours you guys have to do now is split up into 75 hour modules and every school has to teach the same modules, covering the same material. I'm sure the instructor still makes a difference, but with the standardized curriculum not as much as it used to. I have no experience with Leo Martin personally but have heard nothing but good stuff about them. As to whether they are better than the class at your local voc/tech and worth spending the extra coin, I can't tell you that because I don't know the quality of the instructor at your local voc/tech. You would need to ask around and find out from guys who have taken the classes.

Personally, assuming you work for a reputable company, I would trust that the class they are going to send you to and pay for is adequate. Any company that's been around and of any quality isn't going to waste the money they are investing and send their apprentices to a sub par program imo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I enrolled in an expedited program over the summer (big mistake) I have never been given a test or exam and this is with a "reputable" school. So I'm very nervous about where I go now. Thank you for your input. I'll keep asking around. I'm still open to suggestions from others aswell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.