Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious when this was instituted? I have a customer that has a 15 years old service, give or take a few years where the mast is about 1ft above the roof line.
The meter has the POCO tag on it and all. Around here the POCO won't give you that tag if it hasn't passed an inspection.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Smileyboy said:
I'm just curious when this was instituted? I have a customer that has a 15 years old service, give or take a few years where the mast is about 1ft above the roof line. The meter has the POCO tag on it and all. Around here the POCO won't give you that tag if it hasn't passed an inspection.
Our POCO dictates mast heights based on size, length of drop, and size of mast.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I'm just curious when this was instituted? I have a customer that has a 15 years old service, give or take a few years where the mast is about 1ft above the roof line.
The meter has the POCO tag on it and all. Around here the POCO won't give you that tag if it hasn't passed an inspection.

I believe you mean point of attachment . P O A .

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
The height of a service mast is not in the NEC, BUT the height of the overhead service drop conductors over a roof is covered by the NEC

·
Registered
387 Posts
If the service is provided by Xcel there is a drawing in the service standards literature that shows required minimum heights. For as long as I've been aware the mast needs to be high enough to provide an 18 inch clearance between the drip loop and the roof - typically mast height is 3 feet above roof on older installs and can be up to 4 feet on new installs. And, at the same time the bottom of the drip loop needs to be 12 feet above grade, maximum of 24 feet above grade.

There is a lot of stuff around that isn't compliant that has meter tags. Some stuff gets closer scrutiny now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts