Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the trade for about 17 years. For various reasons, I had no need to get my JM's license until last year.

I am considering getting my Master's license this year and would like to know from business owners or people have encountered anything similar, does it actually hurt you to have your Masters? Can you price yourself out of employment?

No, I don't have any interest in opening my own shop, but I want to make myself more valuable to my employer.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
It depends alot on whether your boss has penis envy or not. Everyone knows a master license adds four inches.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
If the licensing bill is enacted this coming April, notice I said if, then it will be worth more. Supposedly all the separate licensing that the individual cities have had will go away and a person with a Masters will be able to go anywhere in the state.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
Some employers won't hire Masters. Either through fear of them striking off on their own or they are required to hire a certain number of JWs.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I've been in the trade for about 17 years. For various reasons, I had no need to get my JM's license until last year.

I am considering getting my Master's license this year and would like to know from business owners or people have encountered anything similar, does it actually hurt you to have your Masters? Can you price yourself out of employment?

No, I don't have any interest in opening my own shop, but I want to make myself more valuable to my employer.
Get your master license, you will be more valuable in my opinion , any good business owner knows how hard it is to create your own successful business so just because you've got the ,master license does not make you a threat.

To me a master license means you took the extra steps to get to the top of your profession.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Some employers won't hire Masters. Either through fear of them striking off on their own or they are required to hire a certain number of JWs.
If the employer paid his men a good wage he wouldn't have to worry about them going out on their own..

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts

In my opinion it is the next step. I assume you dont intend to quit learning so why would you quit adding to your credentials? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In my opinion it is the next step. I assume you dont intend to quit learning so why would you quit adding to your credentials? :thumbsup:

As seen by the responses to the question I asked, there are reasons not to get your Masters. Having a Masters License doesn't mean jack. You know what you know. Having that little card in your wallet doesn't mean anything except you passed the test.

Now, when you list that on a job app, that could price you out of a job.

Nobody said that I intend to quit learning, just if it paid to actually get the license.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
As seen by the responses to the question I asked, there are reasons not to get your Masters. Having a Masters License doesn't mean jack. You know what you know. Having that little card in your wallet doesn't anything except you passed the test.

Nobody said that I intend to quit learning, just if it paid to actually get the license.
It pays. Then, if you get your Masters, send in an extra $60 (or something like that) and you will be a Licensed Commercial Electrical Inspector.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If the licensing bill is enacted this coming April, notice I said if, then it will be worth more. Supposedly all the separate licensing that the individual cities have had will go away and a person with a Masters will be able to go anywhere in the state.
Can I play ?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
If the employer paid his men a good wage he wouldn't have to worry about them going out on their own..

Once again.... he may be required BY LAW to hire a JW.

What part of that don't you understand?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's not entirely true. What you mean to say is that EC's don't have to be licensed in each community with the changes. Electricians never had to be licensed in each community...EC's did.

I expect permit prices to increase to cover the loss of revenue from EC's not paying for the licenses.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts

Your Master's probably will not add any value as far as your employer is concerned unless he does not possess one.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
As seen by the responses to the question I asked, there are reasons not to get your Masters. Having a Masters License doesn't mean jack. You know what you know. Having that little card in your wallet doesn't mean anything except you passed the test.

I dont know, sounds like a stretch. Never heard a master not being qualified for a jman position.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
That's not entirely true. What you mean to say is that EC's don't have to be licensed in each community with the changes. Electricians never had to be licensed in each community...EC's did.

Again this comes down to localities. In Washington state, all electrical workers regardless of level must possess a WA state license to work electrical. Period.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Even heard L&I inspectors will fine you if they cant see the green stripe on your card from a distance as well.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are looking at it the wrong way. An employer might look over a Master's app due to be over qualified or expecting a higher wage.

The only real difference between a Master and a JMan here is that a Master can pull permits. In bigger shops it might be an advantage because you need a Master for X number of JMen.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts