Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the cons if a customer wants to supply materials. is there any legal ramifications
to doing so?. typically I supply materials but this particular customer asked if he can purchase them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nothing but problems. No matter how detailed of a list you give them. Because they will be going to HD or Lowes, ask for help, and those guys don't know a damn thing. They are just cheap people who think mark up is BS.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
I dont care if the customer [thinks] he is going to save money by supplying the materials. its all how you build your contract. Bill for everything, and no warranty on parts. Sounds like a friggin good money maker to me.

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
Unless it's an item like a fixture, appliance or something special we don't do it. We explain it's not in their best interest because we are just going to add the markup we would have made on the customer supplied material to the labor component of the job so their not going to save anything. We're right up front with that.

Also, there's no warranty on defective customer supplied material so you'll have to return it and also pay for our lost time.

And, if you pick up the wrong item and it causes us a delay you'll be charged for the time.

We just tell the customer that's why we don't do it because its just not in our customers best interest to do that.

One of two things happens. Almost always they "see the light" and drop it.

Or they just go away and that's ok with us. :)

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We had countless sorts insist on purchasing their own material on T&M jobs, which basically translates to more T&M for us.

Yes it can be frustrating, no it's not a losing proposition.

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
26,740 Posts
If it's a sketchy customer, let him buy the material. At least that way, if he doesn't pay his bill, you're not paying for material. Better yet, take a deposit to cover the material costs. Best option is to leave sketchy customers for your competition to fight over.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Im on a job now that the customer is supplying material. Already ran into several times they got the wrong things or said they were dropping it off that night and its still not there in the morning.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
It can be OK as long as you do not give a set price. This needs to be a T&M job or some kind of quote with T&M involved for extra trip and making the wrong material work.
I would charge a freaking premium to make a list for someone else also.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
i dont care, i charge by hour when client supply material. my mechanic has two hourly rate, if i supply parts for my car he charge an extra 12$ per hour. Maybe i should do that!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,042 Posts
I charge more per hour if they supply light fixtures. I will not work a job where they supply the electrical materials. If I did I would guesstimate what the materials cost and add my percentage to it even if I didn't buy it.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,679 Posts
Just me sayin: Less paper trail. Dig?

Oh, and leave all your electronics at home that day, and drive a pre 2014 vehicle........

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No warranty. If they want you to provide the materials list, charge them for it. No warratny. They will tell you they don't need to pay for a materials list they can complete themselves. Ask them to have EVERYTHING on site before you arrive to begin the job. No warranty. Charge by the hour when waiting on them to to get the correct materials after you tell them it is all wrong. Did I mention no warranty.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
No warranty. If they want you to provide the materials list, charge them for it. No warratny. They will tell you they don't need to pay for a materials list they can complete themselves. Ask them to have EVERYTHING on site before you arrive to begin the job. No warranty. Charge by the hour when waiting on them to to get the correct materials after you tell them it is all wrong. Did I mention no warranty.
I want to make sure I understand you, .... No warranty? :laughing:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Advice is given freely. Up to the recipient to know the why.
If you don't know I ain't gonna tell you. :laughing:

Should we call you George? As in Hamilton?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
hardworkingstiff said:
I want to make sure I understand you, .... No warranty? :laughing:
I had a customer who I did about 2 houses a year for who always wanted to buy his own material, not because he thought I was screwing him on price.
He wanted to collect the air miles!
What a bone head. Finally told him to get they guy at Home Depot to wire it. Seems he is better at saving him money anyway . Never bought what I told him , always the cheapest crap they sell which just caused me grief . We all have products we like to use , and when you have to constantly be changing the way you do things it just pisses you off.
So enough is enough.
Get some one else!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts