Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, new to the forum, just wondering what some of you thought about mature aged apprentices?

heres the situation: did roughly 1 year of apprenticeship, all commercial. i left the apprenticeship to join the armed forces, the war kicked off, 7 years later still here. my time is coming to an end here, and i still miss doing commercial electrical work, so i was thinking of going back into it. ill be 31 when i get out, and starting from (somewhat) scratch. is that a little old to be starting out (again)?

thanks in advance............

·
Registered
320 Posts
No not at all mate, I am 40 this July and am going to be doing my apprenticeship start after that, I and am sure many on here will agree with me, believe that you are never too old to learn. In fact I truly belive that we never stop learning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. i also have another friend who, while in the service, made some mistakes, and may be looking at getting kicked out, real good guy, just screwed up (not drugs), do you guys see any problem with this guy getting into the trade as an apprentice??

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
i think hes looking at a "bad conduct discharge", not sure how employers look at that, but hes drug free and physically able......
You should look into the helmets to hard hats program in the Union locals in your area. What branch of service are you and your friend in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to become an Apprentice.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm 24 years old, and just about to graduate from school with a BA degree in Basket-Weaving--Criticism. Thank God I have no student loans--I'm thrifty.

I don't like to sit at desks, and I don't like office jobs. My question: Is 24 to old to start as an apprentice? Will I be able to retire by 65? When can I expect to start earning a good wage? Is there a faster way to learn other than going through three years of trade school? Is there any possible way to bi-pass school? Can I just take some exams? At this point, the thought of more school makes me a little sick. I learn best by doing.

Do most electricians in their 40's earn a six-figure salary? Where and how should I go about seeking an apprenticeship? In CA, can I expect to make at least $15 an hour?

I'm at a critical point in my life--marriage will be around the corner--and I need to start making money. I've always liked to work with my hands. I like being outdoors, or anywhere but a desk. If you all had to do it over again--be an electrician--would you? Thank you very, very much for your patience with dumb questions. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
marine corps...........

Sometimes it doesn't matter about the discharge, when it's one Marine to another in business. Semper Fi brother. As for the age, that was exactly when I started, fresh out of the Corps.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
31? Heck, You're hitting your prime! I think the only problem you might have is working with some guys who lack any sort of formal training such as you got in the service. If you have the mind for it, I'd definitely aim for becoming a tradesman as soon as I could qualify.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I would have no problem with a 31 year old, especially on with a military background. :thumbsup:
I would relate better than to an 18 year old, that is for sure. :no:

Reactions: John Valdes

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I would have no problem with a 31 year old, especially on with a military background. :thumbsup:
I would relate better than to an 18 year old, that is for sure. :no:

Amen to that brother.

Reactions: swissmiss177

·
Electrician
76 Posts
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm 24 years old, and just about to graduate from school with a BA degree in Basket-Weaving--Criticism. Thank God I have no student loans--I'm thrifty.

I don't like to sit at desks, and I don't like office jobs. My question: Is 24 to old to start as an apprentice? Will I be able to retire by 65? When can I expect to start earning a good wage? Is there a faster way to learn other than going through three years of trade school? Is there any possible way to bi-pass school? Can I just take some exams? At this point, the thought of more school makes me a little sick. I learn best by doing.

Do most electricians in their 40's earn a six-figure salary? Where and how should I go about seeking an apprenticeship? In CA, can I expect to make at least $15 an hour?
I'm at a critical point in my life--marriage will be around the corner--and I need to start making money. I've always liked to work with my hands. I like being outdoors, or anywhere but a desk. If you all had to do it over again--be an electrician--would you? Thank you very, very much for your patience with dumb questions. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Too funny, and 10,000 comedians are out of a job :laughing:

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Too funny, and 10,000 comedians are out of a job :laughing:

Apparently this guy is out of work too, I can't imagine why.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
hey guys, new to the forum, just wondering what some of you thought about mature aged apprentices?

heres the situation: did roughly 1 year of apprenticeship, all commercial. i left the apprenticeship to join the armed forces, the war kicked off, 7 years later still here. my time is coming to an end here, and i still miss doing commercial electrical work, so i was thinking of going back into it. ill be 31 when i get out, and starting from (somewhat) scratch. is that a little old to be starting out (again)?

thanks in advance............

HELL NO!!!! I only read your post.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.