Electrician Talk banner

Max Number Of Receptacles on GFI Protected Circuit?

70K views 143 replies 36 participants last post by  zen 
The code allows you to load a circuit to 80% of its overcurrent rating and each receptical is counted as 180 Watts' so 15A X 120V = 1800 Watts/.8= 1440 Watts=180= 8 recepticals

20A X 120V = 2400 Watts X .8 = 1920/180 =10.6

Remember these are the minimum requirements I have always use 75% instead of 80.
so, if you had a customer in a home that wanted a new receptacle added in an upstairs bedroom, and the panel is in the basement, and the existing circuit has let's say 10 receptacles and a couple of lights on it but nothing much being plugged into these outlets, are you going to add a new circuit for this? If so then great as long as you have no problem selling this to the homeowner, but I would never even try to do this. I would simply tap off of the existing, as I can sleep knowing that I did the job correctly and didn't overkill it and rip off the HO.

Who the hell let Garth in here? (Go Fins)
More like, who the hell turned Garth on to this site to allow him to see how much better it is than MH's tight knit good ole' boy politically correct site?
I'm not sure I should divulge that info, but his initials at MH's are DA. However I don't think he has an account over here, or at least if he does then I don't know what his name is on here. I'm glad to see that Marc is a mod here. I missed his posts at MH's. Things just weren't the same.

Fancy meeting you here Chris. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.