Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article 225.33 and 230.71 apply in general too any switchboard, Enclosure panel boxes, subpanel,???:thumbsup: The 6 maximum number of disconnects or switches or circuit breakers in one panel box cannot be more than 6 or a main disconnect is required correct me if you think i am wrong and explain why..
Respectfully
ICC Residential Electrical Inspector Jose Guillen.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at your code book. Sections your answer is out of the conversation. Your discussing maximum OCPD which used to be 42 go to chapter 400, Now after 2008 NEC it is for what the panel is designed to carry thank you have a nice day.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
You could load a main lug panel with 42 breakers if the it's in the same structure as the main.

Your question is poorly written and not specific enough to help you with your query. It is also poor etiquette to post such a rude reply to someone who was trying to answer your question.

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
You could load a main lug panel with 42 breakers if the it's in the same structure as the main.

Your question is poorly written and not specific enough to help you with your query. It is also poor etiquette to post such a rude reply to someone who was trying to answer your question.
42 does not even come into play now.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
..if you are referring to a service...then you can have up to 6 discos per service and you can have more than 1 service per building so if you have 2 services you may have up to 12 discos.....:thumbsup:

·
Questioner of Authority
880 Posts
Don't listen to any of these rascals, I don't think they understand your question.
If your question is "Why can you have 6 circuits fed without a main?" The answer is so the fire dept can come and throw 6 switches and have the structure dead. As soon as you need 7 circuits, you will need a main.

Meaning, YOU DON'T NEED a main breaker if you are feeding 6 or less circuits.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Don't listen to any of these rascals, I don't think they understand your question.
If your question is "Why can you have 6 circuits fed without a main?" The answer is so the fire dept can come and throw 6 switches and have the structure dead. As soon as you need 7 circuits, you will need a main.
read 230.71 per the ops ref....

·
Registered
255 Posts

Meaning, YOU DON'T NEED a main breaker if you are feeding 6 or less circuits.
Yes. Good work HawkShock. This applies to "Service Disconnecting Means". Each one of the 6 will need to have a sticker that identifies it as such.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Are you implying that any main lug panel with more than 6 breakers is a code violation?
That would only be true if a main lug panel with 7 or more breakers were used as a service entrance. SERVICE DISCONNECTING MEANS vs. Interior distribution/branch OCPDs seems to be adding confusion here.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
That would only be true if a main lug panel with 7 or more breakers were used as a service entrance. SERVICE DISCONNECTING MEANS vs. Interior distribution/branch OCPDs seems to be adding confusion here.

I get that, but the OP didn't specify these were service disconnects. In fact, he includes the word subpanels in his question. I don't think it's safe to assume he is asking about service disconnects.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much Hawkshock i see you as highly intelligent person and your reply is that of a professional. The Code book is my Bible and i have been implementing and enforcing it for many years and i have poooved some pros wrong, It is when they get cited that they understand, Respectfully Jose A. Guillen

1 - 20 of 23 Posts