Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Who has a link to the install instructions for South Wire MC. Just failed an inspection because I didn't use a Roto Strip.:blink:
How would the inspector know what you used if the end of the MC is inside the fitting.. :blink::blink:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
Page 9 of the pdf

Method 1: lengthwise cut
Cut lengthwise along the interlocked armor, being careful not to cut into the insulated
conductors. If the cut is too shallow to completely separate the segments, you can insert
a small screwdriver into the cut to break them free.
Method 2: Cutting two ribs
Cut two adjacent ribs of the armor. Grip the cable on each side of the cut. Then twist and
slide the armor off.
The three most common tools used for cutting MC cable are the rotary cutter, ring cut saw, and
the hacksaw. Size and type of the cable determines the cutting tool you choose.

Reactions: Joe Tedesco

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I would really let the inspector and his immediate supervisor have it verbally. If he's failing an inspection for something like that he's probably failing guys for other bull**** reasons. I once had an Anaheim inspector fail me because I used a plastic bushing instead of the bonding bushing in a residential sub panel feed.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
I would really let the inspector and his immediate supervisor have it verbally. If he's failing an inspection for something like that he's probably failing guys for other bull**** reasons. I once had an Anaheim inspector fail me because I used a plastic bushing instead of the bonding bushing in a residential sub panel feed.
Sometimes these inspectors intentions are good. Someone may have told him that mc has to be cut with the tool. Show them they are wrong and most will back down.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,561 Posts
You can have the inspector call

Product Support
1-800-444-1700
ext. 5055

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
So what does he expect you to do? Rewire everything?
Of course he does... everybody knows that if the jacket of MC cable isn't removed properly the ampacity of the conductors have to be derated by 50%.

Pete

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

Got re-inspection today. Handed the guy 2 pages of install instructions from Southwire. As he was reading them he says "This is good."

Also handed him NEMA bulletin 90 (at first inspection he told me I needed to use anti-shorts with MC, I resolved that at the time) and after he read that said "This is really good! Can I take this and show it to my Supervisor?"

Go figure.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts