Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is an an MC splitter really needed? I ask cause in about 7 months of doing commercial I have never used one. I was taught to break and cut with dikes. It is in my tool list for my new job. Is it in nec to use one?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
You won't find it in the NEC. AFAIK, you could strip the jacket with your bare teeth.

Pete

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I worked for a company that provided a roto splitter. If your company does not, I would recommend one. ***** are fine if you MAKE SURE you clean the edge, but for speed and repetition, I highly recommend them. And by the way don't let somebody sell you on a hacksaw for one!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I've always done it like you. That seems like not a necessity and should be supplied by them if they prefer you use one. That said, I don't think it's very expensive and if that's what they want I'd just buy one.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
zac said:
I'm cool, but it wasn't stated as an opinion. And tools are personal!:) But I get it.
Yes it was. I don't see how you could take that any other way. I never said your opinion was dumb. I think those tools suck to use, suck to store, and are not needed. Snap and cut is faster and one less tool to fumble with. If they work for you, you better own one.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Yes it was. I don't see how you could take that any other way. I never said your opinion was dumb. I think those tools suck to use, suck to store, and are not needed. Snap and cut is faster and one less tool to fumble with. If they work for you, you better own one.
Not needed is definitely incorrect. In areas where I work you are required to use a roto splitter. Some inspectors don't like the sharp, ingrown, edge that ***** leave and many contractors require and provide them.
Now do I carry a roto for doing regular mc type jobs...no way! But if i'm making up all day, you can count on me having a roto splitter.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
zac said:
Not needed is definitely incorrect. In areas where I work you are required to use a roto splitter. Some inspectors don't like the sharp, ingrown, edge that ***** leave and many contractors require and provide them. Now do I carry a roto for doing regular mc type jobs...no way! But if i'm making up all day, you can count on me having a roto splitter.
What me worry?

For the record I don't use those things either.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Not needed is definitely incorrect. In areas where I work you are required to use a roto splitter. Some inspectors don't like the sharp, ingrown, edge that ***** leave and many contractors require and provide them.
Now do I carry a roto for doing regular mc type jobs...no way! But if i'm making up all day, you can count on me having a roto splitter.
How and why would an inspector know which method you used?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
How and why would an inspector know which method you used?
I had a guy take off the connector and look at the way the mc was cut. Maybe he was payed off by roto split? And you can tell the difference of a roto split cut and a ****. But I have no problem using my *****...I just wrap tape around the inside of the jacket or use an anti short.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.