Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has already been addressed...I searched for about 15 minutes and couldn't find a previous topic.

General consensus is that you shouldn't support MC Cable from suspended ceiling wires (yet I'd venture a guess anyone of us who said we've never done that might be lying) but I can't find it in the code where it says not to do that.

Have a special instance where a new hire attached to the ceiling wires and we had a discussion about how we didn't want to do that, but in our discussion he said he'd never seen it in the code. After he left the office I did some searching and couldn't find it either.

I know inspectors have shot it down in the past but I've never requested an article (whoops!)

little help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
although...doing some more research, if the grid is commercial grade and rated for connection to the supports according to exception 300.11 (A) 2

Exception: The ceiling support system shal be permitted to support branch-circuit wiring and associated equipment where installed in accordance with the ceiling system manufacturer's instructions.

That to me says, if you're using UL listed clips (ie Caddy Bat Wings) it's acceptable as long as the ceiling is rated for it, which in most commercial applications they should be.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have had inspectors ask for a letter from the engineer or manufacturer stating the load that the grid is rated for. What the existing load is and what load we are adding to it (in the form of wires/fixtures etc).

At the end of the day its easier to spray paint your own wires orange and hang only from them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts