Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BlackWhale49
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our company pays directly for hotel rooms for out of town work. The company gives each man susistance for their meals each day they are out of town. I'm trying to get a gauge of what the subsistence amount should be and how much different it should be for a large metropolitan area vs. a rural town if any. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-13-65.pdf

I've seen per diem around here go from $20/nite to $40/nite.

Notice I said night and not day. If you left on Monday and came back on Friday it would be 4 nights and 5 days, so the company most likely will pay by the night spent out of town.

Reactions: electricbysullivan

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I worked in the oil field it was $10 per every 8 hours away from home, so up to $30 a day. But per diem is also tax free so that helped.

·
Registered
Electrician & Electronics Technologist
1,245 Posts
$10/breakfast
$15/lunch
$25/supper

I thnk all my employers in the last few years have gone with that or close to. My current employer just gives us the company card, and says keep it within reason.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
$10/breakfast
$15/lunch
$25/supper

I thnk all my employers in the last few years have gone with that or close to. My current employer just gives us the company card, and says keep it within reason.
While I don't think that is unreasonable at all, I can tell you from being in management what the owners thought where I worked.

Their feelings were if we get a hotel that serves breakfast, you don't need a breakfast allowance. Most people go to a fast food or sandwich place for lunch and $10 should more than cover it (remember, this was some years ago). You can get a decent dinner for $15-$20 so $25-$30 is more than adequate.

When they (owners) looked at the time sheets of most of the employees, "no lunch" was written down a high % of the time so they even questioned whether they need to provide a lunch allowance since the workers were not taking lunch (at least on the time sheets). :laughing:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Curious, when you are working in town, how much do you spend on lunch?

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Curious, when you are working in town, how much do you spend on lunch?
Too much Lou. :blink: I'd say on average 10 bucks a day or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Either way, it's a pretty substantial expense when you add it up.

Fortunately I don't drink coffee so there's a few bucks less out of my pocket. Also I gave up newspapers years ago. Used to read 2 or three every day.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We are allowed $10, $15, $25 for meals (plus 15-20% for gratuity). However, it's not really a per diem; we must give back what we can't account for w/ receipts on our expense report.

·
BlackWhale49
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think $10, $10 and $15 is reasonable especially in the more remote locations we work. Bigger cities are probably different. The hotels we stay in provide a breakfast. I can't think of the last time one didn't. The breakfast allowance can go to the lunch and dinner or the coffee and newspapers. Many times the hotels we stay in have a microwave and refrigerator. The guys will bring a grill and buy their food and pocket the difference. That's all fine by us. I just wanted to see if we were comparable. Thanks for your help.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I think $10, $10 and $15 is reasonable especially in the more remote locations we work...
I could probably eke that out by using any extra from breakfast and lunch, but I've almost never had a good dinner come to less than $15 when traveling.

As far as I see it, when on the road the only reliable pleasures you've got are food and drink (unless you're into hookers) so I'd be pissed if a company was stingy about that.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
P.S. You should get your own room . I do not care to share .
I'm with ya on that one Pete! I work with someone all day, I sure don't want to spend the whole night with them.

Reactions: pete87
1 - 17 of 17 Posts