Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I do home audits and part of what I do is to use a Kill A Watt reader if the fridge is old, get a reading an compare the reading with an appliance database. Recently I have received requests for checking the electrical usage of water pumps, and central air units, both are 220 and wired to the electrical panel. How could I get a reading for these devices? Is there a way then to compare that reading to a list to see if their devices are working under normal parameters?

Thank you,

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,086 Posts
Hello,

I do home audits and part of what I do is to use a Kill A Watt reader if the fridge is old, get a reading an compare the reading with an appliance database. Recently I have received requests for checking the electrical usage of water pumps, and central air units, both are 220 and wired to the electrical panel. How could I get a reading for these devices? Is there a way then to compare that reading to a list to see if their devices are working under normal parameters?

Thank you,

That method will not give an accurate assessment of equipment the customer is relying upon a professional to audit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Hackenschmidt
11,662 Posts
There's no simple safe non-invasive way to do this with those appliances. Your best bet for safety and accuracy would be to hire a competent electrician.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thank you for replying to my post even though I still do not have an answer to my question! @VELOCI3: You said my way is not an accurate way, so please let me know a better way of measuring.
@splatz: Maybe I am hiring an electrician and I still asking the question here to see if the guy I am hiring know what he is doing, so are you willing to let me know the best way(s) to read the load in watts for 220V directly wired to the electrical panel?

Thanks!

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Hey guys, thank you for replying to my post even though I still do not have an answer to my question! @VELOCI3: You said my way is not an accurate way, so please let me know a better way of measuring.
@splatz: Maybe I am hiring an electrician and I still asking the question here to see if the guy I am hiring know what he is doing, so are you willing to let me know the best way(s) to read the load in watts for 220V directly wired to the electrical panel?

Thanks!
Your electrician will know exactly how to measure the current.

But an Electrician will also tell you that your method of testing will not accomplish anything and you are fleecing your customers.

What you are doing is similar to a plumber filling a cup with water and tasting it, and then determining if the pipes need to be replaced or not depending on the taste.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,586 Posts

Thanks!
Or maybe your not hiring an electrician and hoping we tell you how to do it so you can do it yourself? Sorry, this site is not a DIY site.

Any electrician will be able to test and give you the info you need.

·
Registered
IBEW 6 volts to lightning bolts
1,086 Posts

Thanks!

Your way of testing is like a car salesman tasting the oil on the dipstick to measure the value of the car. I’m usually more thorough in my answers but it’s Sunday and it’s beer-o-clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,180 Posts
With power especially on motor loads you have to measure voltage and current but in a special way. You have to measure the phase angle or power factor. This requires a power meter. These exist but they are not cheap.

As to load with a pump you compare it to a pump curve but you also need flow rates and pressures. With HVAC you need pressures and temperatures. That by the way includes refrigerators. The published data in appliances tests them under very specific test conditions do that models can be compared. This in no way whatsoever reflects actual conditions. So you are taking data under condition A then comparing it to data taken under condition B. Load (food), temperatures, cleanliness, temperature settings all affect the result. So you are not really comparing apples to apples.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.