Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone has a lack of mechanical aptitude, can they become an electrician or other tradesman? Can it be learned over time, or is it indwelled?

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I don't know if it's learned (early) or just bred into a person, but one thing I feel certain of is that it can't be learned as an adult. Every hiring process should start with a mechanical aptitude test of some sort. Hell, the major part of the ASVAB to join the military is a mechanical aptitude test. The military has cramming information into a soldier's brain down to a science. If they can't even teach mechanical aptitude (thus, the testing for it), I don't stand a chance of teaching someone why you use the blade of the screwdriver in the screw head rather than the handle.

Reactions: BBQ

·
cog
5,292 Posts
v. in·dwelt (-dwlt), in·dwell·ing, in·dwells
v.intr.
1. To exist as an animating or divine inner spirit, force, or principle.
2. To be located or implanted inside something.
v.tr.
To inhabit or reside within as such a spirit, force, or principle.

Feeling a little dramatic this morning? :laughing:

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
v. in·dwelt (-dwlt), in·dwell·ing, in·dwells
v.intr.
1. To exist as an animating or divine inner spirit, force, or principle.
2. To be located or implanted inside something.
v.tr.
To inhabit or reside within as such a spirit, force, or principle.

Feeling a little dramatic this morning? :laughing:
I looked that word up too :icon_redface:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
If someone has a lack of mechanical aptitude, can they become an electrician or other tradesman?
no .

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
If someone has a lack of mechanical aptitude, can they become an electrician or other tradesman? Can it be learned over time, or is it indwelled?
I don't think it can be forced into anyone any more than you can force someone to be a good dancer.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Does painter count?
lol. good answer.

yeah, like Celtic said, if the following qualify as trades, then I guess you don't need mechanical aptitude

plumber (site work/ditch work)
driveway sealer
power washer
pool installer (half of them anyway)
tile setter (half of them)
concrete finisher
stucco installer
insulation installer
carpenter wannabees (the bottom 10%)

I could go on, but you get the idea . . .

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
It can be learned to an extent, but some people are just inherently better at it than others. You just have to be ready for them to strip out lugs, crossthreading bolts, over tightening crap, etc, until they get a feel for it.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
When I had a desire for an employee.. a second set of hands.. (10) years in that circus.. I had (3) rules...

1) When ever going out to the truck for parts... see if there is anything that can go back with you...

2) Carry a 5 gal. pail with you.. any garbage.. throw it in the pail.. never on the floor..

3) Everything gets checked before leaving the job.. I HATE getting a phone call that something was not working....

The whole idea was to cut down on wasted moves and at the end of the day there was little mess to clean up or parts/tools to bring back to the truck..

This is how I like to work.. and I would make it I point this is what I want from them..

It was a losing battle.. this was even before cell phones and guys were still walking in a daze...

So.. NO... something's you can't teach.. another one is basic "common sense"...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Does painter count?
There's doing something, and doing it well enough to get paid for it. Anyone can slap paint on a wall, just as they can eventually get a light switch to turn a lamp on and off. Doing it well enough to get paid for the job is the difference. If you aren't mechanically inclined, the work will never become second nature. I've seen guys fail at this...smart, motivated, but can't get the physical work part of it down. I recently watched a "master" hanging like a monkey from a ceiling fixture, bashing it with a hammer, and all the while dropping nuts, wirenuts, his drivers, etc. from the lift. The guy is smart but can't do the work without a struggle.

Similarly, some guys simply can't understand how paint and a brush work and how to manipulate them to cut in a wall/ceiling intersection, no matter how you show them or describe it. Some can't hold a sprayer so the tip is a constant distance from the wall. Others pick up a brush or sprayer and 'get it' the first time. So I guess painting could qualify as a skilled trade.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't think it can be forced into anyone any more than you can force someone to be a good dancer.
He didn't ask if it could be forced on someone. He asked if it COULD be learned. If the student has the want to learn, it can be taught. Will everyone be able to learn it? No, but it can be taught/learned.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
When I had a desire for an employee.. a second set of hands.. (10) years in that circus.. I had (3) rules...

1) When ever going out to the truck for parts... see if there is anything that can go back with you...

2) Carry a 5 gal. pail with you.. any garbage.. throw it in the pail.. never on the floor..

3) Everything gets checked before leaving the job.. I HATE getting a phone call that something was not working....

The whole idea was to cut down on wasted moves and at the end of the day there was little mess to clean up or parts/tools to bring back to the truck..

This is how I like to work.. and I would make it I point this is what I want from them..

It was a losing battle.. this was even before cell phones and guys were still walking in a daze...

So.. NO... something's you can't teach.. another one is basic "common sense"...
Of course there is a bucket involved. :laughing:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
He didn't ask if it could be forced on someone. He asked if it COULD be learned. If the student has the want to learn, it can be taught. Will everyone be able to learn it? No, but it can be taught/learned.
Jesus Christ, you really busting me on using forced?:rolleyes::laughing:

OK you can't teach mechanical ability anymore than you can teach how to be a good dancer even when the person wants to learn.

With dancing you can teach the moves but you can't teach grace, fluidity etc.

With mechanics you can teach someone how to use the tools for normal conditions but you can't teach then how to think creatively. Or how to be ingenious, how to repair things with what you have on hand etc.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Jesus Christ, you really busting me on using forced?:rolleyes::laughing:

OK you can't teach mechanical ability anymore than you can teach how to be a good dancer even when the person wants to learn.

With dancing you can teach the moves but you can't teach grace, fluidity etc.

With mechanics you can teach someone how to use the tools for normal conditions but you can't teach then how to think creatively. Or how to be ingenious, how to repair things with what you have on hand etc.
I came into the trade as green as they come. I hooked up my stereos, TV and components. Never even changed the brakes on my car. I would say that I had no mechanical background.

However, by watching the other guys I worked with, I learned how to make things work.

My point is that some people need to learn how to bring those abilities out. Without that, those abilities would stay hidden. To me, that is learning.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ive had builders tell me i need to hire more guys, why can the painters, drywallers, mudders, tile guys hire people at will and you cant and when you do they dont stay. Thats the part where skill and needing a license come into it. Of course i can hire people at will to have someone on the job but then im just losing money.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts