Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what methods inspectors are allowing to protect/hide the grounding conductor. In the past I have ran my bare #6 in my service conductor pvc which simply passes through the meter and then I terminate it in the panel. Normally saskpower has their feeders to the house long before the service is installed so this isn't an issue for me to do this way as I run their wires with my ground into the socket and just call them to terminate and install meter.My issue this time with that method is Saskpower does not have their feeders to my meter socket yet,(but my end is terminated) and I cant see them being happy to install their feeders through my conduit that already has wire in it. I know others just run it on surface of the house unprotected, and I have also seen it drilled into the bottom of an LB fitting between the meter and panel which then sleeves it into the panel with the feeders. What is your preferred methods? I want it to look pretty yet eliminate holes into the house.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Never done it your way that's for sure.

I suppose if your grounding is outside then a 3/4 pvc with an LB then the last bit of #6 to the panel.

Myself I dig a ground plate in on the inside of the house near the foundation below the panel and the #6 stapled to the 2x4s holding the panel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mytiburon said:
Just wondering what methods inspectors are allowing to protect/hide the grounding conductor. In the past I have ran my bare #6 in my service conductor pvc which simply passes through the meter and then I terminate it in the panel. Normally saskpower has their feeders to the house long before the service is installed so this isn't an issue for me to do this way as I run their wires with my ground into the socket and just call them to terminate and install meter.My issue this time with that method is Saskpower does not have their feeders to my meter socket yet,(but my end is terminated) and I cant see them being happy to install their feeders through my conduit that already has wire in it. I know others just run it on surface of the house unprotected, and I have also seen it drilled into the bottom of an LB fitting between the meter and panel which then sleeves it into the panel with the feeders. What is your preferred methods? I want it to look pretty yet eliminate holes into the house.
Strap it to the side of the PVC, and drill a small hole in the meter socket, then go in with your service conductors.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We have done hundreds of services like this. We just run a curly cue #6 bare to the ground plate buried by the builder, staple to the panel back board (which should be insulated and vapour barrier before you install the panel, then into the panel. That's it.

It's common practice and easy to do and meets all code requirements.

·
Estwing magic
27,283 Posts
Strap it to the side of the PVC, and drill a small hole in the meter socket, then go in with your service conductors.
Then your inspector or utility gets nasty and you end up replacing a meter socket after the fact. Drill a small hole into the house, push your #6 through, run the wire through 1/2" PVC. Make it pretty with an FS box. You don't have to pipe into the house.

·
Estwing magic
27,283 Posts
We have done hundreds of services like this. We just run a curly cue #6 bare to the ground plate buried by the builder, staple to the panel back board (which should be insulated and vapour barrier before you install the panel, then into the panel. That's it.

It's common practice and easy to do and meets all code requirements.
Exactly. The only time I have buried a ground plate outside is when it's impossible to dig a hole in the basement floor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
99cents said:
Then your inspector or utility gets nasty and you end up replacing a meter socket after the fact. Drill a small hole into the house, push your #6 through, run the wire through 1/2" PVC. Make it pretty with an FS box. You don't have to pipe into the house.

A small hole in the bottom of the Meter socket is not going to fail. It's called drainage. If that was the case they wouldn't put knockouts on the bottom of the meter socket. I see lots of this done, when guys use ground rods.

·
Estwing magic
27,283 Posts
A small hole in the bottom of the Meter socket is not going to fail. It's called drainage. If that was the case they wouldn't put knockouts on the bottom of the meter socket. I see lots of this done, when guys use ground rods.
Drainage? With that logic, may as well drill a hole in the bottom of the LB. Makes no sense running a wire up the pipe, into the meter socket and down the pipe again.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That method would be considered HACKISH here in B.C. Have never seen that done in the 35 years I've been in the trade.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Drainage? With that logic, may as well drill a hole in the bottom of the LB. Makes no sense running a wire up the pipe, into the meter socket and down the pipe again.

Drilling hole in the LB for drainage is required in here. But they won't let you run a ground in that hole.
Well...not anymore been there done that.
1/2" PVC , LB, strap on the pipe and a screw through the inside of the LB to hold it to wall clean as it gets from the outside plate option.
Prefer under slab option though.

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Sideways Sparky
1,512 Posts
You are supposed to do that.

The meter sockets already have drain holes in the bottom corners. A #6 fits through them nicely. Or go through a KO. I know they have a 1/2" and I think they even have the 1/4" little ko's for a ground wire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.