Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, really super-fun service call today!

Building roof drain clogged up during these hard rains today, and flooded a section of a 2-story old downtown building. Fire department actually shut off the service main and all the tenant breakers. (Good call, on their part :thumbsup: )

Building contained a bank, carpet store, Korean market, tobacco shop on first floor, and 6 large apartments on the second floor. When I arrived, a visual assessment told me that 5 of the six apartments were absolutely unaffected, as well as the bank, market, and tobacco shop. Only one apartment and the carpet store were involved. Turned power back on to all the units except these two.

Took circuits off the breakers and the neutral and ground bars in the apartment panel. Meggered all of them out, and had three bad circuits. One was a wiring error. One had a soaking wet receptacle, but the cable was unaffected. These two circuits were fixed up in short order. The third bad circuit has loads of pre-1954 BX cable that's soaked. This was mostly for the lighting circuit in that apartment. That cable's gonna need replaced. No two ways about it. Glad I meggered it, because it really wasn't showing up on a VOM, but the megger reading would make you think it was a hard hot to neutral short.

The carpet store has a very large Frank Adams fuse panel, with fused neutrals. Each fuse holder also had a disconnect handle (pictures coming soon). Since the store was quite large, I only meggered the circuits that fed to or through the affected area of the store. All good, except for two fluorescent lighting ballasts that showed a N-G short when meggered, and they were also dripping water out of the hole where the wires entered the ballast case.

Is a megger an exotic tool? I don't think so. It saved my back side today.

·
Registered
32,963 Posts
I run into inspectors that want newer cabling replaced when it gets wet, for new cables this is not an issue as a megger will show...Old wire, Now that's a problem. IMO older wire should be replaced before it gets wet, But then we can't require this, unless there is an issue like water.

I am surprised at the number of contractors that do not own meggers and I mean large contractors, Installing feeders and in particular busway.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Fused neutrals. Haven't seem those for donkeys years. When I ever came accross them I always suggested replacing with links if posible or fitting a neutral bus'. Not legal here anymore.

Frank
Whats not legal over there? You mean the fused neutrals?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
md,

i call bs to the entire story....i base my call simply on the fact that there ain't no koreans in your part of PA......i don't believe it for one second:no::laughing:
My one aunt is Korean. She only lives maybe 15 miles from me. I guess she's imaginary? :laughing: It's only a short piece from my house, so I guess I'll go take some pics if I can get in.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the exterior view. Everything was closed. I need to get pics of that FA fuse panel. Oldman, I'm not sure if you were teasing or not, but your comments were a bit hurtful to me.

·
el abogado del diablo
1,523 Posts
md. it was in jest. we have a place in colley township, and i spent a bunch of hunting seasons in black walnut. those areas don't take kindly to those who are different.

for the record, i'm white, my wife is black and my son is a zebra. doesn't mean anything, but figured i'd head off the panic attacks.

good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.