Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm not an electrician but that's what I want to be when i grow up. I'm glad I figured that out, since I’ve been working on that question for the last 36 years. Currently I’m an Electronics Technician in the US Navy for the past 18 and a half years and I will be retiring in 18 months. I'm living in Lake Stevens, WA now but plan on moving back to somewhere in Louisiana when I get out of the Navy. Some of my experience is in running cable for Intercoms, Phones, CAT5, and I’ve spent a month running conduit and Romex with a Combat Electrician. I've used Meggers, Multi Meters, Time Domain Reflectometers, O-Scopes, and various other test equipment.

I'm here for some advice on how to go about getting into the Electrician's trade. Do I need formal classes? Should I get a copy of the NFPA 70 and start memorizing line numbers? How do you go about getting an apprenticeship? What research can I do now before I change fields in 18 months?

I've been working with electronics for a while so I don't think that I have to worry about the math or electrical theory (I really don't want to sit through another 6 months of AC/DC theory, Electrical Principals, and Algebra)

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Mel.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Welcome ET I assume 1/C?... Retired FC1 myself. Your Navy experience is going to give you some head start on others just getting into the field. As far as where to go from here.... Well that is a loaded question. Some advocate going to the Jatc and enrolling in an apprenticeship. There are trade schools that offer either construction electrical or industrial electrical programs. Myself, I ended up in industrial and have thoroughly enjoyed it. PLCs, motor controls, troubleshooting production machinery is really my bag. I didn't get a journeyman card because the state I'm in has local certification that has really crappy reciprocity and I didn't need it in my field anyway. Your state requirements will be different. :thumbsup:

·
Coffee drinking member
13,415 Posts
Also consider staying with uncle sam.
Usajobs.opm.gov
Check with your local VA rep also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AT1 atcualy, But it's all the same Avation on not. Troubleshooting is what i enjoy most, but i think it is relaxing to drill holes and run conduit. Not sure if i'd prefer Industrial or Residential. I'm just ready for a job that dosen't take me across the world for 6-8 months and having a steady income from my retirement alows me to do something i'll enjoy instead of writing evaluations and going to meetings.

I'll look into the JATC and send those guys an email and ask some questions. If all else fails i can Check which Trade Schools the GIBILL will cover.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello,

I'm not an electrician but that's what I want to be when i grow up. I'm glad I figured that out, since I’ve been working on that question for the last 36 years. Currently I’m an Electronics Technician in the US Navy for the past 18 and a half years and I will be retiring in 18 months. I'm living in Lake Stevens, WA now but plan on moving back to somewhere in Louisiana when I get out of the Navy. Some of my experience is in running cable for Intercoms, Phones, CAT5, and I’ve spent a month running conduit and Romex with a Combat Electrician. I've used Meggers, Multi Meters, Time Domain Reflectometers, O-Scopes, and various other test equipment.

I'm here for some advice on how to go about getting into the Electrician's trade. Do I need formal classes? Should I get a copy of the NFPA 70 and start memorizing line numbers? How do you go about getting an apprenticeship? What research can I do now before I change fields in 18 months?

I've been working with electronics for a while so I don't think that I have to worry about the math or electrical theory (I really don't want to sit through another 6 months of AC/DC theory, Electrical Principals, and Algebra)

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Mel.

Welcome to the forum,,,:thumbup:

And thank you for your service...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts